1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Lithium Ion Batteries

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Orchardbike, Feb 12, 2018.

1. I run one in my Yam cafe racer... unreal weight saving it feels like a plastic box. I too found it struggles in a cold morning.. but then my Yam is 40 yrs old.

2. Disconnect the terminal over the winter and forget about it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. On cold days, they say turn on the lights for 20 seconds to 'wake the battery up'. This warms it up and improves the cold start problem.

4. Regarding "losing" dashboard info, I have disconnected the Lithium battery on my V4S several times and nothing was lost. I have a PIN set up and did not have to use it (does that answer your question?). Lithiums often have lower Ah capacity for same cost compared to lead acid. But I think mine is 4Ah and that's decent. I did manage to flatten it during an afternoon of playing with the ride modes and the provided battery maintainer could not resurrect it - it is JUST a maintainer. Lithiums require a higher current to recharge them once they fall below a certain threshold voltage. I went out and bought a C-Tek 5A Lithium charger and it had the battery operational in 40 minutes. (Big sigh of relief at the time!) My bike has an immobiliser which operates while the bike is switched off. This draws power constantly. I understand the battery should be able to power this for 3 months. However I hook my bike up to the C-Tek every night, just my habit. I also have a wireless phone charger on my bike and pretty sure it draws current - or can do if left in stand-by mode, which is easily done - when the bike is switched off so hooking the bike up to charger religiously is a safe practice. On the V4 Pani the battery sits very high up so Lithiums are beneficial being incredibly light.

The only question remaining for me is longevity. Only had the bike 6 months, no idea what life to expect or what, if any, symptoms will alert me to a failing battery when the time comes.

Edit: sorry just realised this is a 3 year old thread.

#24 Pete T, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. If it ever catches fire, stay the hell away from it and let the Fire Brigade know. Lithium Ion fumes are lethal.

6. Thanks Pete T

7. A quick search found this, https://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/tektronix/LIBMG.pdf. Pretty generic but some basic info to inform an expectation. Andy

8. If you are that concerned about weight saving just have a good dump before you get on the bike.

9. They also become a bomb.
    I had a Chinese Dyson battery on charge when it started fizzing.
    I went to switch it off and it exploded in my chest. Not good...

10. I wouldn’t touch them. They are voltage sensitive and certain makes like Motobatt have been known to chop the motor, like turning the key off.

I have an AGM Odyssey on my machine that is made to military specs like the 99.99% pure virgin lead plates. Bought in 2010 and still going strong. By removing the fuse holder from it’s housing in the battery tray I managed to fit a larger battery upping the amp/hours from 12 to 18.

If you are that anal about weight reduction have a good dump before you get the bike out. A lot cheaper than wasting all of your crinkle on Titanium fripperies.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information