1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Locks And Top Boxes

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Eugen, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Afternoon all. Quick question about Ducati locks and top boxes. My V4S Full comes with a spare lock barrel - I assume this is for the optional top box as it has panniers fitted as standard. I have the Ducati/Givi mounting plate fitted, and am looking for a suitable Monokey top box (the one for the V4 is mind-numbingly expensive, and I'll use it infrequently). I have been offered a Ducati top box from a 2018 1260S (without the lock barrel). Are Ducati locks standard across recent years - i.e. will the spare barrel I have in the toolkit fit the 1260 box?

With many thanks in advance

2. Meant to say - I've found that the seat locks are the same part for the 1260 and the V4 (59820611A), and I've read that the top box uses the seat lock barrel rather than the panner locks. Just need a bit of reassurance that I'm on the right lines...! Thanks again.

3. I also have a spare Ducati lock cylinder barrel that came with my V4S and opted for the Iconic Parts mounting plate with a £15.00 Givi Monokey adapter kit for it. I didn't buy the Ducati top box (too expensive like you stated) but did purchase a V47 Givi top box instead. It has the Givi OEM lock cylinder and key installed. I don't think the Ducati lock that came with my bike will fit in the Givi top box as is I read on here somewhere that it slightly longer (or shorter). I also read that in order to use the Ducati lock in my Givi top box I would have to purchase the lock surround housing for the seat lock to make it work.

I could be wrong with this, but on the above basis I suspect your Ducati lock should fit into the 2018 Ducati top box you've seen (even though it is also made by Givi) Ducati lock/Ducati top box is ok I think... Ducati lock/Givi OEM top box is not.

Someone else might confirm?

4. Thanks! Fingers crossed...

5. I'm in a similar situation with the Givi E460 top box for my 950. I didn't have a spare lock cylinder when I bought my used 950, but when I trade this for my V2S I'm hoping I can get rid of the extra key I currently need for the top box and swap the cylinder on the top box to use my V2S key.

Looks like there's even a kit from Givi to make this work if the barrels don't just swap over...
    [​IMG]

#5 Ian_H, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. So my V2S arrived last week and it came with the spare lock barrel.
    So I went ahead and ordered the GIVI lock adapter kit shown in the post above expecting it would let me take the standard lock out of my Givi E460 and replace it with spare cylinfer that came with my new bike.
    No luck.

The diameter of the new cylinder that came with bike is too big to fit in the replacement lock parts that Givi supply.

In the photo below -
    TOP: - standard Givi monokey
    MIDDLE - Replacement Givi lock kit
    BOTTOM - Spare lock that comes with my V2S

[​IMG]

Any suggestions ?
    I don't think this setup is going to work TBH ..
    @MutleyV4S ?

7. That is frustrating....

Per my previous message, I have read that read that in order to use the spare Ducati lock in a Givi box it is possible to purchase the Ducati lock surround housing for the seat lock and then use this in the Givi top box. I haven't done this though and am no expert... ;-)

I'll try and find the post that I read

8. Interesting. That's a really clear explanation - many thanks!

I've decided to go with a Givi V47 top box and accept that I'll need to have another key on the key fob. I can get a new V47NN for just under £170 delivered from Sportsbikeshop (plus another twenty quid for a Givi red lid cover which looks close to Ducati OEM colour). Modern design, loads of space - having to carry a separate key is at the moment an acceptable inconvenience vs the cost of a new Ducati box. Things may, of course, change in future!

9. I did pretty much the same.

Here's the article I read claiming that the Ducati under seat lock assembly should be able to house the spare Ducati lock and then fit into the Givi top box. The article relates to a Multi 1260 so not sure if the part codes for the seat lock assy would be the same as Multi V4... I guess a call to one of Ducati's dealer parts teams could identify the black plastic seat assembly part code...

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/lock-replacement-on-stock-givi-topbox.69536/\

10. Ah. Sadly not. Close up, the lock clasp mechanism for the V47 looks different from the MS1200/1260 optional top case. May fit the E460, though...

11. The related thread I posted above just talks about replacing the black plastic cyclinder lock bushing (the same as the one on the seat lock)... not the whole clasp mechanism

[​IMG]

12. Understood. I was looking to see if I could swop everything over, that’s all. But your point taken

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for sharing this - the parts have changed ...

2019 1260 Seat Lock is 59840271A
    2021 950 and V4 and V2 Seat Lock 59820611A
    SNAG-0623.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. My V4S came with three barrels in a plastic bag tucked in a gap under the seat. I have ordered the Ducati metal panniers and top case, which hopefully will arrive in April and I assume the barrels will fit them.

15. Yes, mine came with the panniers and the barrels. Bike also came with a 3rd barrel for a top box…

Do Not Sell My Personal Information