1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Ulez

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Julian Wells, May 26, 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  1. So are you saying if you have your bike tested by these people, obtain a pass certificate, you are excused paying the ULEZ fee even if your bike breaches the age limit?

2. There's no age limit as such; what's required is that vehicles do not breach the Euro 3 NOx limit. Once tested, a machine should show up on the ULEZ checker as exempt on the next working day after the test.

Note that exemptions based on either testing, or a manufacturer's certificate of compliance, apply to individual machines not to the model as whole.

Official full info here; a relevant excerpt is this:

Minimum emission standards
    All vehicles need to meet Euro 3 emissions standards for NOx.

The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age - but generally speaking Euro 3 engines as those registered with the DVLA after July 2007.

Motorbike emissions testing
    We will also accept evidence from test facilities approved by us for measuring NOx emissions. If successful, the test facility will contact us with the results.

#3 Julian Wells, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  3. An update/clarification

The next step is that the info about the bike is entered on the TfL database; however this does not mean that it will straightaway show up as exempt using TfL's ULEZ checker here.

Instead, one must go to https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/pay-to-drive-in-london, register, and then offer to pay a charge for the relevant vehicle. You will then get a page like the one below.

R996 TTP - TfL charging status redacted.png
    At some point TfL should write to the registered keeper confirming that they have received a satisfactory test result, but in the case of R996 *** they haven't done so yet (tested 24/05/19). I think (if I understand correctly) that at that point the vehicle should then be shown as exempt on TfL's checker. I'll update this thread in the light of developments.

4. Can anybody try this on any vehicle? I’m wondering if identical vehicles could have different readings, as we all know different power outputs was always the norm on identical vehicles maybe emissions is similar.

5. This is the very reason you have to get the individual vehicle tested.

6. Ok, where would you do this? I know at mot time emissions are tested but I guess it’s whether rpm is at the same amount as a low emissions test...interesting

7. My van is euro 5 only way to get to ulez as it stands is get another van that is euro 6 which is difficult as expensive, do not think filters are available and if they are will be a fortune.

8. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a place that will do four-wheelers of any kind.

It's a bit of a mystery (to me) as whether or not this could be a business opportunity for someone: on the motorcycle page it says:

Test centres that believe they can offer motorcycle emissions testing to the required standards should email their contact details to [email protected].
    However, there's no equivalent note on either the car or van pages. The latter do refer to retrofitting schemes, however.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information