1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Rides

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, May 3, 2020.

1. upload_2020-5-4_11-46-19.png
    That's a bit of a diversion! I wasn't planning to ship the bike to the USA. Or, it may be that the Ride software is crap!

• Like Like x 1
  2. https://www.myrouteapp.com/

Signed up for this just before lockdown :rolleyes:

Free to sign up and use with OpenStreetMap maps, but with a Gold subscription (not exorbitant), it'll use TomTom, Garmin or Google routing algorithms. Once you've created a route you can transfer to your device using USB or Wifi if available. Can also get their satnav software if you're not using a dedicated device. Tons of tutorials and webinars on their website for using their basic to more advanced functionality.

#22 GarySN, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. That’s even further west than the Dingle Peninsular which I was about to suggest as a waypoint!

4. I went to John O' Groats to tick the box. I avoided the A9, but the route up the east is bland and feels like mile munching. Passed through Tain to go to the Glenmorangie Distillery, which is worth a visit :beer:. I got piss wet through with sideways rain at Aviemore. :splat: :mad:

The road along the north coast from JOG was brilliant, really quick sweepers and an excellent surface, which surprised me.

The west coast is awsome and it's not unusual to do 60 - 70 miles on a single track road.. I got lucky with the weather although the trip over to Applecross was in pea soup and I couldn't tell if I was going uphill or downhill at some points. It cleared 30 mins later to a bright sunny day for the trip back over. :eek:

If my Italian trip is off this year, I'll go up and down the west coast as a substitute if the UK is unlocked. :upyeah:

Oh, around Lock Lomond is bloody slow due to damn tourists. :innocent:

#25 Robarano, May 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Have you ever been to Thurso? Route planning looks good and this will be the route that I take. Years ago, when I did a contract for BT in Swindon, I used to deal with a BT office in Thurso quite a lot - just interested in visiting the Town.

6. Completely agree, when we did a trip there in 2015 we stayed in Strathy, doing JoG and back in the late afternoon without luggage having got to our B&B mid afternoon. The next morning we doubled back and headed South from Tounge on the A836 to Lairg, Bonar Bridge joining the A9 at Evanton for a short spell to Inverness before turning left for a visit to Culloden Moor and then on to Ballater for another B&B.

7. Got Tyre to wake up and smell the coffee!
    upload_2020-5-4_12-31-47.png
    Still only 792 miles...and that includes Glenmorangie!

8. You need to start west and get off those Mways! Head Hereford, Aberystwyth, then pick up the 470 north to peel off to A5 then Chester. That route is more the rush home route. Sun-Thur getting there, Fri rest or local day, Sat blast home!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. But I am thinking of going to Thurso rather than John o'Groats............

10. I'll investigate!

11. yip, passed through last year. nice enough.

12. There is no motorway use before Liverpool. I go west of the M5 but don't go into Wales until the very top. I could go further west and start from South Wales.
    upload_2020-5-4_12-57-32.png

13. Was Culloden Moor as in the Battle of Culloden?

14. I'd hug the west coast all the way up Perry, then over the north coast. You won't regret it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Or miss Hereford and go through Shirenewton, Abergavenny, Crickhowell, then up the A479 to pick up the A470 at Llyswen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'm quite interested in visiting the whiskey distillery and Culloden. But I could vary it so that I stay west and come back on the east side and do Culloden and the distillery on the way back. I think that it may be rude to visit Scotland without visiting a distillery!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ah. I forgot you had to come back down. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I'd still go up and down the west coast mind. I'm sure there are distilleries in the west, they love a dram. :)

19. ther's lots of them.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information