1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For Advice About A Trip To Norway.

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Chris George, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Myself and my friend are looking to get to Norway in 2019. I don't see any logical option but the ferry to Rotterdam and then up through Denmark. This means that we will be limited to about a week max in Norway Sweden.

Anyone care to recommend some good places to visit that give a sense of Norway without having to put too many miles per day ?

• Like Like x 1

2. My only input is for you to watch your speed... I’ve heard you’ll be jailed pretty quickly for not being too far over the speed limit...

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I thought the main attraction of Norway is the North Cape (71°10′21′′ inside artic circle) but it takes a week to just get there so I guess that will be out if your only there for a week.

#3 DonaldDuc, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. Couple of aquaintence's have done it a few times. It's extremely expensive & you could see about posting on therevcounter/ukgser about doing it.

5. We used to go to Bardufoss quite regularly and it's beautiful but be very careful of the time you go. It regularly sees minus 25 with wind chill in the colder months, and even in the hottest months, it rarely climbs into 20s, and the days are very short, but that aside, a very pretty country none the less. I would however do an average weather check for the time you're going. What month were you thinking of BTW?

6. Take a distilling kit. Booze is expensive. That's all :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Don't eat Rakfisk.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Looked at this as a potential break earlier this year but was put off by the non direct ferry crossing.
    It's on the cards for a future visit..

9. We are looking at going end June / July . I often work in Finland (would like to try a trip there in due course, but I think I would need around 3 weeks to do the full 'Baltic Loop ) so I know what the winters can be like in this part of the world.

10. When I did Norway a few years ago I went up the middle to Kristiansund, went over the Atlantic Bridge, and came back down the west and took in the fjords, including Gairanger, also road of trolls, Aurlandsvangen Mountain Road to Skei, allowed half a day to walk up to the Pulpit Rock. Marvelled at some fantastic waterfalls you pass along the way. Caught the overnight ferry back to Hirtshalls from Stavanger. Did most of my eating at petrol stations.

Accommodation wise went for a mix of Hotels.com, Booking.com and AirBnB to find best value.

Regards
    TB

PS expect plenty of showers

11. PS Ferry wise there used to be / is a direct ferry from Immingham by DFDS. However, this is really a commercial ferry and they will only take enquiries from cars / bikes within a month of sailing (by which time its usually fully booked) and you have to take your own lashings / straps.

TB

12. Agreed, which is why I was hoping for some inspiring places in Southern Norway - there must be some ?

13. Yes I had seen this, but was aware of the limitations on getting on board so sadly it does not work for us.

14. Excellent, thank you, just what I was hoping for.

15. Up there with surströmming...

16. I went over a couple of summers back. Ferry from Harwich to Hook the Hirtshals to Bergen.
    West coast is great, lovely to ride. Speed limits are tough work on a sports bike. North of the Arctic Circle was pretty quiet.
    Would go again but preferably with a direct crossing rather than the 2 1/2 + days just to get to Bergen.

17. Apparently that is now classed as an offensive weapon by some airlines and is a banned substance on aircraft.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information