1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For Ideas For An End Of October Trip

Discussion in 'Touring' started by riskypicker, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Evening folks.

My work schedule allows for a 2 week break for the last 2 weeks of October and i would like to cut loose and head out for some solo riding. Ive been working from home since February so 14 days quaranteen on my return is of no concern to me.

Im looking for inspiration on where to go that wont be wet, or at least has a good chance of not being wet.

After reading a bit in an old Ride magazine I was looking at the Chaves region of Portugal. But on looking at the weather now and historical weather for October, im a bit put off.

Has anyone got any experience of touring in late Oct? Any suggestions, previously ridden places would be most welcome.

Many thanks

2. Overnight Ferry in to Spain would be my ‘go to’

Pyrenees etc

• Like Like x 1
  3. That was a thought also, but it looks like that area is even wetter in Oct. Im using a website with historic average temps and rainfall as my only source of info at the moment.

So rather than go east from the ferry i thought about going south. Seems you need to go a long way south.

4. Done Picos early October and it’s been lovely - early 20’s with some early morning mist in the mountains - you can normally avoid the rain by checking the weather forecasts and head to the sunnier areas !

by the end of October you’re going to get the leaves and nuts on every corner

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ferry to Spain, Covid permitting. Go over the Picos, which may be good or may be wet. Then head south of Madrid but don’t go anywhere near it as it’s a centre of Covid infection. Burgos to the north of Madrid is high and always seems cold to me, keep going south.

Once you’re south of Madrid the weather and temperatures will be far better.

Spain is the 2nd most mountainous country in Europe. Head for the Sierra Nevada or any of the mountains that run along the coast east and west of Malaga. I guarantee you will be in motorcycling heaven.

It’s the most southerly point of Europe. Best chance of sunshine, windy roads, smooth tarmac.

Only trouble is Uk motorcycling will never be the same again for you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Late last October I rode from Santander down to Covilhã on the Easten edge of the Serra da Estrela national park. I spent 4 days there riding in the mountains though one day I took off due to rain and explored the town instead.

It was a great trip but there was rain on some days and on the return across the Picos on the last day on the way to the return ferry it was pretty biblical. Flooding in places, the bar I went to for coffee and tapas in Santander, as I was a couple of hours early for the ferry, had the news chanel on and there was constant coverage on the current wet weather and the floods. Temperatures in the Picos and on the last day in the Serra da Estrela were around zero degrees at altitude yet comfortable at lower levels.

Sounds dreadful but frankly I had a good trip, depends on how you approach it. Sure, if it had been wall to wall sunshine it might have been more enjoyable. It was sunny and warmish on about half of the days.

LRM_EXPORT_168273308300033_20191022_170632007.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Valencia October 24-26th with No Limits....

Despite what you hear, Spain is just fine. Cheap, great weather, amazing roads, food and hospitality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Got the ferry to Santander. Arrived in the evening so blasted down to Palencia for an overnight. Then down to Guadalupe for 4 days, over to Ciudad Rodrigo for 2 days then back to Santander for the evening ferry.

Bloody brilliant time despite all the madness.

• Like Like x 5
  9. You did well, good timing. They’ve gone into a form of lockdown now. Pretty much you can’t go beyond the village that you’re in. There’s also a curfew, which I find a bit strange, 10 till 7 you can’t go out at all.

10. Timing was spot on all round really with the UK going into lockdown on my return.

Was totally worth getting away despite all the ball ache.

11. Great stuff but where are the pictures?

12. After having a mare with my iPhone using HEIC files that my PC doesnt recognise i have at last managed to get them on my PC.

Im still in awe of the scenery, quality of road surface and lack of people on them.

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nice.

I have just purchased a 1200 R. What do you think of the Puig screen? Any other mods?

14. Short answer is very disappointing to be honest.
    Comes with a sticker to say don’t use chemicals when cleaning. Guess what you have to use to remove the glue residue from that sticker? If that hadn’t marked it i think I’d have returned it.
    When fitted I can’t notice any improvement over the standard R fly screen despite the 6% claimed in aerodynamics. I’m only 5’ 10”
    And then there’s the wobbling when you’re riding. For the first few miles I honestly thought it was going to come off.
    Think the issue is the hooks on the fairing parts that go through the original screen doesn’t fit properly. The hooks on the puig are much shorter and don’t fit basically. Even with the rubber grommets.

No significant mods as yet. End can, rad guards and tail tidy is about it.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information