1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Looking To Buy A 1260s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by bigralphie, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Time to move on from my ZZR1400(my knees won't take it anymore) looking at Mutley 1260S what should I be looking for when viewing the bikes, please
    Thanks in advance

2. All the usual stuff pal. Low miles and owners with fsh etc. Bar sat navs, zorsts and screens I don’t think they get messed about with too much tbh. Some cracking used bikes out there atm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1260S was pretty well sorted as it was the end of the line. The Grand Tourer came with a bunch of extras as standard (heated grips, extra lights, panniers and best of all a red frame!)

i would say the best extras to look for are heated grips, lights, luggage, keyless fuel cap. Other than that, as Youzy said, low mileage and good condition. Personally I’d rather buy one with some extended warranty left (the GT had a longer warranty).
    Good luck, it’s a great bike, I’m on my 3rd one now

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you are gonna tour. Factory luggage is a must. They cost fortunes even if you can find them after the event. Minimum of both panniers, preferably the top box too.

5. 4 year warranty on new ones, worth considering.

6. Thanks for the info so far
    I think all the bikes in my "watch list" have panniers and a top box is a want as my eldest grandson is making noise about coming pillion
    I have always been a kriega fan boy but makes sense to use panniers if I have them
    Can't stretch to a new one it will hinge on what I get for my ZZR now back in standard spec to what my upper budget is IMG_20210913_153512.jpg

7. Personal opinion but i don't think the OEM luggage is worth the money.

Its not particularly robust and Givi stuff is the same for about 1/3rd of the price.

8. Whilst it's built to a price to ensure a healthy margin for Ducati at their inflated prices I was under the impression that it was Givi who actually make the OEM luggage. Their consumer line maybe more robust but the integrated mounting of the OEM panniers is relatively neat and unobtrusive when removed which for me is important. Maybe this is where the fragility that you're referring to lies? I can see that, though spare parts are available. Also the panniers offer decent enough space but are reasonably tucked in giving a narrower width than generic after-market panniers of the same capacity. Me. I prefer the panniers supplied with my 1260s touring, just my point of view into the pot.

The top box is very handy and useful for shorter trips or when my pillion and I need to stash our lids when parked up. The OEM case will hold two lids (maybe not two XL but I have an XL Shoei and she has a medium LS2). Also it gives her added confidence and comfort.

If buying a bike without luggage then yes, cheaper option would be to buy Givi kit. BTW the Givi rack, well at least the one that the dealer supplied for my mate's MTS Enduro, lacks support rails. This wound up, over time, snapping the grab-rail. Maybe they've improved the design.

Good luck with your search BigRalphie, plenty of bikes out there that match your needs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well the deal is done , IMG_20210917_154631.jpg many thanks for your input
    Is there a special handshake ?

• Like Like x 11
  10. That looks mint, fully loaded with all the goodies too. Congratulations, you don't hang around procrastinating do you :D

Well... almost fully loaded... You are of course missing the comfort seats. Most find the OEM ones uncomfortable after a 100 miles or so, even worse getting back on the following morning whilst on tour I found. Shocking for a premium priced touring bike. Of course Ducati offer the afore mentioned comfort items (guess that makes the originals discomfort seats...), except they stopped doing the Touratech ones and started making their own (or got someone else to do them). None are cheap and the non Touratech ones aren't as good. Touratech ones do come up on here and eBay occasionally. New they were around £400 each for rider and pillion! It got mine for significantly less than that, the rider one off a member on here and the pillion new when Ducati had an old stock clearance.

There are other brands of seat out there, Sargent are highly rated, as well as the option of taking your seat to someone to have it remodelled, plenty of advice on the options are only a search of the forum away.

I have the Touratech items and rate them although a recent 450 mile stint on the motorway on an emergency dash back from Scotland, as my dog was sick, had my arse smarting a bit towards the end of the day. Nowhere near as bad as first fuel stop on the originals mind you and on my usual tours I hadn't had an ache or pain from them over the three years I've had the bike.

#10 Bumpkin, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  11. I only went to swing my leg over one ......famous last words
    It had just come in not been through the workshop yet but when I saw the spec and it's only done 6000 miles I bit
    It's getting a service and a mot and will be ready next week
    Thanks for the info on the seat I will have a full day on her and see how my cheeks fair :yum

12. Ive gone for the Givi Trekker box for my V4. There are no support rails on the V4 so any Givi Mono base will fit. I got mine from Iconic.

The lock on my Ducati topbox on my 1200 jammed a few times whilst i was on trips and i was never that confident it would unlock but maybe that was just me/mine.

I'm also not keen on hard panniers, i had them on both my 1200s and rarely used them as they made filitering more difficult but if i needed panniers again, i would fit soft ones.

13. Full boom boom anorl :upyeah:

14. He ain’t got one has he!
    D840DA73-5283-4778-96B8-40F6A8C63C31.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. The lock is very much in the path of filth thrown off the rear wheel so that doesn't suprise me. 14k on mine and top case fitted most of the time for convenience, lock still working OK despite a fair amount of riding in wet weather. Will have to see how it goes.

16. Nice one, complete with full Termi system too :upyeah:, you won't be disappointed.

17. I,m made up, roll on next week, The guy in the pic is my brother IL and bike consigliere
    His exact words were ,if you end up with 2 red Ducatis I,m not talking to you anymore :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. The Givi Trekker I now have has a cover for the lock so it’s obviously not uncommon.

• Like Like x 1
  19. She is home
    IMG_20211001_150303.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Good result.

Looks well.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information