1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Looking To Buy

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Clarkey63, May 11, 2019.

1. Hi I've been a member of this forum for about a year I ride a 1199s Pannigale I also own a 1991 cbr600fm (recently restored)and a speed triple
    I'm thinking of selling the speed triple to purchase a multistrada
    I have a limited budget of a maximum of £6500 which multistrada would you guys recommend
    Thanks

2. I'd be looking as late as possible. At least 2013 for the twin spark when they changed lots.

Early models seem problematic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I know there's a fan base for twin spark, but I had a 2012 1200S that caused me no problem at all and I'm sincerely mechanically inept.

I then sold that a friend of a friend (5 years ago) who's equally as inept mechanically but happens to be loaded so he could easily afford any work. Because he's well off he treats the bike as a bike, in other words not cherished , not the sort of guy to wash it every month but he does use it, and in all that time he's owned it he's had zero issues and he wouldn't replace it until it just dies.

For my money if a 2011/12 has decent mileage on it and has lasted this long without issue it's probably likely to continue that way

• Like Like x 2
  4. First generations have much less electronics to go wrong for a start. Most early versions have had all their problems sorted out by now. It really is up to you, I found the second generation skyhook suspension a little bit wooly compared to the Ohlins but that's me.Later twin spark versions are better on fuel, but cost more when servicing. The important thing you should look for is what you want with the bike, ie Panniers/Termi/Top Box then decide if you want skyhook suspension as there are plenty of models without it, and choose one over condition not milage being as it is getting old now.

5. For me it would be a 2010 to 2012 ohlins equipped S.

The twinspark and all pre-DVT skyhook bikes are imo too harsh, the suspension is simply not as compliant as the ohlins.
    If you aren't going to buy an S, so have the manual suspension then this is not an issue. That said, if you haven't ridden an early 1200S you probably wont worry about it.

I accept the twinspark engine may be perceived as better by some, but I know of just as many issues with twinspark equipped bikes as earlier bikes (I'm not saying there are lots of bikes with issues, just the numbers are the same regardless of type).
    The twinspark is more refined at lower revs so if you do a lot of town work that might be a consideration.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Or get the early single spark model mapped which greatly improves the overall riding experience

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for taking the time to comment this forum is awesome I will in due course let you know what I do
    First thing is sell my speed triple

• Like Like x 1
  8. Things have changed slightly I'm going to PX the Pannigale for a multistrada Been out a few times on the 1199s and unfortunately the signs of old age I really don't find the Pannigale comfortable any more
    So what can I get for my money lm looking at a pikes peak anything I should look out for
    Thanks

9. what is your budget? this can help what your after. Do you want panniers? Termi? low milage.

10. As above, but also don't think the PP is worth the premium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. My budget is about £10,00 would like panniers,top box but not important and prefably a nice termi I would also like Ohlins suspention
    Only like the pp because of the colour

12. A tenner will get you a Multi key ring ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Damn sight cheaper to buy a sticker kit and have it fitted than pay extra for a PP, I think. :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. My suggestion would be to have a search on mcn for sale section, see what pops up for that sort of money.

You should just about be able to get into a DVT 1200S for that. Clearly that would have Sachs skyhook though.
    Blades have a 2016 bike with 13k7 miles for under 10k, so they are out there.
    If you want an earlier ohlins bike you will have quite a choice.

If it must be a pikes peak I don't think your budget will get you a DVT bike, they arent down to that price range yet.

You just need to decide if you want an earlier bike for less money, the newest (or lowest miles) for your budget, must be ohlins / Pikes Peak, or what.

15. Well I brought a 2013 pikes peak 1200s and I love it thanks for all your advice
    Took it for a test ride today and I was hooked
    That Pannigale was a fantastic machine but too focused for me riding back form the dealers on the multi
    I have made the right decision without a doubt the only issue I have to sort is a slightly lower seat height as I'm only 5 ft 6 and on tipi toe

• Like Like x 1
  16. Welcome to the mutley bunch......a fast bike that's also comfortable ???? !!!!! I can't believe how good they are

• Like Like x 1
  17. Misterpink
    I wish I brought one years ago it's what motorcycling is all about

Do Not Sell My Personal Information