1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loosening Allen Head Bolts (not Stripped)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Snips, Dec 8, 2018.

1. I have a lovely DP carbon front fender to go on my lovely 959 Corse, but I can't for life of me loosen the Allen key bolts that are holding on the current nasty plastic guard.

Thankfully, this is not one of those 'I stripped the head' posts, but I really don't want it to become one!

I've bought some quality Allen keys, and used WD40 Penetrative fluid a couple of times and allowed it to soak.

I make sure the Allen key is properly located (though there's still a little more play then I'd hope for), and give it as much force as a dare - I'm a weedy guy, but it's still enough force to mark my fingers.

Not one of the four bolts I need to remove will loosen.

Any tips on removing a bolt *before* the head has stripped?

2. gently tighten slacken tighten slacken tighten slacken tighten slacken. it will go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. There’s threadlock on the bolts .. make sure you’re using a quality Allen key and you’ll be ok with the above approach

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Always find heat does the trick especially where thread locker is used. Use a paint stripping heat gun and get the area as hot as possible.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Might need to use some more leverage, such as you'd get with a socket set.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. As has been said. Heat is your friend here. It will help soften up the threadlock that Ducat seem to ladle on with a spoon these days.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Use an Allen hex bit and a tee bar or socket wrench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The good news is that this technique worked a treat - in fact given how much force I'd tried on the slacken direction, I'm amazed how easily they came undone after a couple of these tighten slacken actions - all four came out easily with this technique.

The bad news [UPDATE! - see below] is that I then went to remove the single bolt that holds the brake lines at the top rear of the front fender. I thought this would be a relatively breeze but it turns out it's a teeny TORX head - WHY?!!!

Anyway, it was smaller than the smallest I had, so I went and bought a smaller set - and I think I identified it as a T7... but I've now mangled that head and I've got bits of filings coming out :worried:

As ever, it's difficult to access to even get a good photo of.

Any tips to remove that bolt WITH a mangled head, please?

UPDATE! Looking at my own photo here, I realised I was maybe undoing the wrong head - so I looked at the replacement carbon fender, and realised I was! I should have been undoing the black head - so I just tried, and it's a T9 (I think?) and came out easily! It also doesn't matter that I probably mangled the silver head as it's fixed attachment. Phew!

This is why I stick to software, and pay other people more practical than me to do this stuff...

Hope this helps someone else in future!

[​IMG]

#9 Snips, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. Cut a slot in it with a dremmel or hacksaw then use a flat bade screw driver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. :D we've all been there. options:
    1. cut a groove with a hack saw or use a dremel cutting blade and use a screwdriver to get it out
    2. use a 'left hand' drill bit and drill it out
    3. use an easy out/ extractor - but the next post will be how do i get a snapped easy out out and they're a bastard.
    4. weld a small nut on it and use a spanner

seen the update :) panic over - you have just made some extra time in your day for a celebratory beer when the new fender goes on

#11 MDUBZ, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The silver fastener is a rivet, not a screw

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. oops

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Ha, don’t worry about trying to unscrew a rivet, I once watched someone trying to form slots in what he thought were screws along the edge of a metal frame, he stopped when I pointed out that they were spot welds, and he was supposedly an apprentice trained skilled man :)

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information