1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Monster Key

Discussion in 'Monster' started by wadesnj, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Sorry, I meant CUT locally, copying implies coding it as well!

2. Follow the process exactly as it’s stated in service manual and you should be fine. Failing that I’m sure there’s someone with a key cloning gadget as they are available.

3. Abacus have just emailed to say that my replacement Meta fob is on its way, so no doubt I'll have fun coding that to the Meta as well, they say they are including instructions!!

4. Cost of blank key with transponder from moto rapido approx £35 which includes vat and postage so not that bad but then add cutting. Basically similar price to avanti but you don’t need to send key away. Almost double eBay key but at least from moto rapido it’s supplied by ducati and you have some form of support if you experience problems which you won’t.

5. I've also asked David at Snells to quote for a blank key, so that will be a useful comparison, thanks for getting the Moto Rapido price. Snells used to be my "local" Ducati dealer when I lived on the Isle of Wight, still use them for parts even though I now live in South Wales. They got Desmo shims for me in 3 days from the factory!

6. Buy cheap black key off ebay (no more that £3). PM me your address and I will post you a transponder. Fit transponder in key and program to bike. Sorted.

7. Sounds good to me.

8. Chrisw, that's very good of you, will this do for the blank? I assume the transponder inserts in the rectangular recess? Will pm my address if this is the one to get. Screenshot_20190109-210542.png Screenshot_20190109-210522.png

9. That will be fine. The small piece of plastic in the picture is the tray for the transponder.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Have you tried Timpson's shoe repairs on the high street, they cut keys and can clone certain models, worth a look.

12. Yes, we have a local branch of Timpsons, I was going to try them for the key cutting when I get my blank key, @chrisw has sorted me out with the transponder chip.

13. Thanks @chrisw just what I needed....

14. Looks like you're all sorted :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes, parts OK, just a bit nervous now about coding both the new key transponder and the new Meta alarm fob!! Looks like it may be a bit of a fiddly process for both. Anybody got any tips apart from follow instructions, watch the videos and be careful?

BTW, brilliant service from Abacus Car Alarms https://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/ - brand new Meta fob ordered yesterday, arrived this morning!
    IMG_20190110_144029.jpg

16. Video fine but you have 30 seconds in between inserting each key recognising the number and switching off so no major rush as highlighted in video. Just remember not to allow the count down timer to reach zero. According to the instructions which differs from video is the last stage when you reinsert the red key. The service manual says to leave the red key inserted a minimum of 5 and not more than 30 seconds in order to sync the data with the ecu.
    On another matter I see you raised upgrading your cables in another thread. I’m rebuilding my monster 1000 and for reference the cable from the solenoid to the starter motor measures 0.45m.

• Like Like x 1
  17. @Geoffduk thanks for the extra info, I'm sure that will be very useful. And I'll pass the cable length on to @Exige to see if the ES-12 kit is compatible. Could do with the length of all three cables if you have easy access!

18. That one down - spot on at 450mm :):upyeah:so looks like were ok as the battery mount looks the same.

19. Will pass on tomorrow. Had this one in house but rebuilding/refreshing loom which is at my unit with my own integrated high current cables. His cables do look the biz and perform well from all accounts - maybe buy a set for my 1098 in the future. I’m in the fortunate or maybe unfortunate situation that I’m rebuilding the loom as I had some electrical gremlins and totally integrating starter and ground cable into loom with marine grade 16mm^2 tinned copper cable which I had from another project. For continuity will also use for solenoid to starter.

20. Looks like it will be fine then. Will pass other sizes on anyway for reference.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information