1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost My Biking Mojo

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Gp80, Sep 30, 2018.

1. images.jpg :D:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  2. In which case I need to learn to do the opposite of being a safe rider :upyeah:

3. Less than on the road. If you want focus and attention, making good progress while dodging potholes, small animals and cars cant be beaten. And it doesn’t finish every 12 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. While what you ride has an impact (CBA with full leathers, and prefer jeans these days, so sports bikes don’t work for me) I really think its more to do with who you ride with, the wider biking scene, than what you ride.

And I think there are two types of loss: one related to time & risk (young family, doing other stuff, simply too busy, big crash or loss of someone close) and one related to simple CBA. Same roads, same bike cafes, even worse if on your own.

5. after being scat off last year bike a monkey driving a van while on the phone then the police blaming me and then this year while going around right hander and a deer jump out in front of me, leaving me and my bike in a mess, for sure I have lost my road riding mojo, I feel like there is an ambush waiting for me next!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Could consider your local IAM or ROSPA. Pass your test and become an Observer. Help others on their way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. On the back of this @bradders - we'll have to get together and get out for an afternoon.....youre not too far away...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thats the thing isnt it Bootsam.....and thats why ive not moved forward with getting anything newer....out of the 3 the Hyper is the most engaging bike ive ever had...the zed is a smooth easy ride and the RSV4 is headbanging.

Pull the 916 to pieces, get the engine coated (in itself a massive job) and fire it all back together...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. My only advice would be try not to overthink the decision.. I ride a classic cafe racer that I built as well as the Panigale.. I love my Panigale but its not a relaxing ride or sound and well can be a bit much at times.. although I rode it to work today and was lovely.. could be worth changing the type of bike.. a mate who has ridden all his life recently sold his 1199 for a 1200 Mult and went on tour says its changed his biking for the better.. so maybe stick with it but try another bike. Good luck.. my best advice on any decision is unless you are 100% sure don't do anything for now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. This has happened to me a couple of times over the years, once enforced (we moved to Singapore to work) and once later after a few years of GS ownership. The route I took was to sell the bikes, then you don't feel guilty about it sitting in the garage. I suspect you'll keep reading bike mags and eventually you'll see something that floats your boat perhaps it will take you down a different track from the sportsbikes. The bike that got me back in after a years break was the original pikes peak, now on an enduro, but it could be a classic ducati ....

11. Was thinking exactly the same yesterday - was out on the Distinguished Gentleman’s ride with about 140? other bikes. Great causes, a good day.
    But, found myself thinking about selling up on the solo ride back.
    I’ve made several excuses for not going out over the summer, work, too this or that, Sunday drivers, etc,etc.
    Wish I had a motivational end speech.....

12. I sometimes feel the same way but it's usually in February when it's cold and raining and I wish I was in a car for my 90 mile commute but then i think of the 30 minute traffic jam on the A3 at Guildford and how steam would be coming out of my ears if I had to just sit there and realise that I am better off on the bike. Why don't you ride it to work occasionally or isn't that practical

• Like Like x 1
  13. I know what you mean but unless you desperately need the cash or space in the garage why not hang on and the urge may well return. I reckon if you sell it's unlikely you'd go back, but if you hang on you MIGHT just fancy it again. Happened to me with a sport I played, easy to give it up but much harder to start up again.

14. Maybe that means it is time to move on and do something else with your time?

A couple of years ago I took up archery, and I've got really into it now. These days I spend my sunny Sundays flinging arrows rather than riding bikes, and I really enjoy it.

Yes, there are ups and downs, and the kit is also surprisingly expensive. (Carbon fibre is not restricted to bike parts!!). But it's a fun new challenge, and there's always the thought in the back of my mind that the worst outcome for a bad shot is a broken arrow, not a trip to A&E.

15. Tell that to King Harold
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I took up biking late (32), and rode for 3 years (2 racing) before selling both my bikes and not touching one for 5 years. I gave up for my own reasons and didn’t massively miss it, however I got divorced 3 years ago and the first thing I did was go out and buy a bike. It allowed me to get out and about rather than sit and be depressed. I made new friends, got back in touch with old ones, and really enjoyed just going out to clear my head. That need subsided, but I realised how much I had missed riding. I got back on track with a few old race buddies, and next year I’m thinking about doing the odd race. My reasons for starting to ride 10 years ago, for giving up, for starting again, and for changing my focus have changed due to circumstances and need and mood, but there is always a place for bikes. My only regret was selling my 848 the first time round, but not the end of the world as there are always bikes to buy. So, either way you won’t lose out... you’ll want to ride again at some point, and it doesn’t matter if you kept your bike or get to go buy a new one. Don’t get caught up in the decision, because giving up biking is a reversible decision!

For those that say there is no fettling to be done on a Pani, I present exhibit A:
    50C04F51-FB0C-4E40-A88A-9DE14CB2B677.jpeg
    (And I have more plans for this winter!)

• Like Like x 6
  17. Have been riding since age of 8 and am now 56. One extended break of 2 years when finances and a certain lack of mojo kicked in. During this period dreamt that I still had my old bike tucked away in the garage back at the parental home and felt a real hole in my life when I awake and realised this wasn't true. Soon back to biking after that.

Self and lifelong best mate toured every year since 2010, Corsica next year, and that and the overwinter planning keep me sane over the darker months. Only ride for pleasure, no commute. Has also been an escape from an imploding marriage over the last few years. Divorce pending and a new lady in my life who wants to share biking adventures has brought me into the ownership of a Mutley. Life's great.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Well Im sure my mojo will return and its dissapearance temporary. Ive been on 2 wheels since I was 16. Im 53 now. never had a period without, except Lambretta reliability/blown up issues. The couple of stints doing porridge for Lambretta riding related offences aside too of course. I think doing my 916 frame will gee me up over winter. I'd like to ceracoat like comfy, but my engine is sweet as a nut and had a monty by paul at snells. Yes, the engine paint is flaky but its not too bad and thats character. The frame surface rust though, that could kill the bike if I dont nip it in bud. Its only a bit of flaky frame paint with some mild surface rust round where the frame no is. It is 20yrs old after all and used.

19. Common theme here tho. Sharing it with others. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  20. I hope i’m On the Friends list ? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information