1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost My Biking Mojo

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Gp80, Sep 30, 2018.

1. GP80, I would say, stop thinking about it and just ride. I recently read the Ant Middleton biography and he talked about just putting one foot in front of another. I wake up most morning miserable at the thought of going to work, never mind having to put my gear on and jump on a bike, and it is an such an inconvenience to my day other than jumping in a car. But I force myself to, because when I ride, time stops and the worries ( the wife ringing me, looking at at clock, worrying about the day ahead of me, the news on the radio ), for that brief moment it is just me and the wheels, and when I get to work I feel I regained a part of me lost to the pressures of life. I would say just have one ride and see how you feel, make it an everyday thing. I have never been one for riding with mates, it forces competition and sometimes you just want the calmness of stopping for a coffee and looking at the scenery, live is not 100mph everywhere, although I admit I top that most days I ride a bike just for the grin, lol. Stop thinking and just ride mate. The other aspect to this is, I have 3 old school ducatis (996, 996s, 998) which are immaculate, low mileage and pampered.... but the bike that puts the biggest grin on my face, I ride weekly, I don't care if it gets wet, and I have most trust in... is my r1 4vx... I am considering selling my ducatis but will never get rid of my R1 ( I know I will be shot down now for being a traitor lol ), forget about the bike, and concentrate on the ride. Hope this help ( I have babbled so thank you for reading it all ).

• Like Like x 2
  2. By the way, I have ridden since I was 16, I am 38 now, and only been without a bike for 2 weeks in that time, and my wife will not allow it again as I was miserable lol ( which is good excuse for buying new bikes ). It is not the bike, it is the freedom, community (even just nodding at another rider), and the feeling of flying / floating / exhilaration / freedom... whatever you jump on a bike. Just get on it and ride mate!

3. Finally word, the fact you put a post on this forum means you innately do not want to give up biking in your heart, you just want a bit of support to tell you what you already know!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I used to ride with a guy who had no left hand. He had clutch and everything on rhs.

They do more auto stuff now. Isn’t the Africa twin an option?

5. This :upyeah:

6. Tell me about it . I spend probably 50% of my time lifting my arse off the seat, just like a jockey, to use my legs as additional suspension. Hope you had a good craic though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mattia Passini has brake and clutch on the same side because of problems with his hand after a motocross accident. Get a bike with auto blipper and you only need clutch stopping and starting...
    E6C4F935-AAE0-44AE-AD48-C3BA5B137803.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Some great posts mate.

9. What Did said. True dat

10. so did robert dunlop until he pulled the front brake instead of the clutch when his engine seized at 150. That was that. RIP.

11. I went through a similar thing last year, I was moaning about the long winter not being able to ride then when summer came (and boy did it!) I just couldn't face gearing up on hot days to ride for another cup of piss-water at the usual tyre-kicking spots for an hour dodging potholes, heroes on S1000RR's and the weekend SUV rush. My riding had slipped into the same pattern it has for 20 years, sports bikes, full leather onesie, same roads, triple digits on the dash (Km's officer), made it back in one piece affairs.

In the end I ended up selling my 959 which I do massively regret as it was a thing of beauty and wonder, instead I went for an R1200RS for a more relaxed affair, a friend of mine suggested a road-trip, we'd never really ridden together as he was more of a touring gent, I'd never toured, I've mostly been head down arse up rides lasting an hour or two for as long as I can remember.

Fast forward to early September his missus and mine took the plane, he and I rode from Peterborough to Amsterdam and back in a weekend, more miles in that weekend than I've covered in years and one of the best biking experiences I've ever had. We're now planning our next jaunt at Easter.

I will get another Pani it's inevitable even if all I do is sit in my chair and have a "cup of tea" over it....ride 'em, look at them, pull 'em apart, trade them, drop them, moan about them but never be without 'em is my view.

• Like Like x 4
  12. A friend of mine also has an RS1200 and i`ve ridden it many times. A wonderful all round bike so not surprised to see your mileage comment. I wrote something similar earlier in the thread but if we all rode bikes that were comfortable and enjoyable at any speed then a lot of riders would ride a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ask yourself - how easily can you replace it if you sell it? The same model? The same condition? The same modifications? If it's easily replaced, it may make sense to sell it from a financial sense. Psychologically, how will you feel with it gone? Having it and not using it is not the same as not having it and not having ANY opportunity to ride.

People grow out of, and back into motorcycling I've found - ask me how I know!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bin off riding on the road and go to the track.....Then Mr Mojo will own your soul!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. I got myself like that with my S1000RR. I'd chopped my Diavel in for it, wrong decision, VERY WRONG decision. Don't get me wrong, the BM was and is a superb bike, goes without saying, but I just couldn't get along with it. Got to a point where my ride buddies were asking me to go out and I would say no, or say yes, go out and hate it, and I mean actually not enjoy it one bit.

Fast forward to last week and I got shut of the S1000RR and bought a Street Triple RS. I absolutely love the thing to bits. Yesterday, I had a lot of work to do at home, and my main ride buddy called and asked if I fancied a scoot. Work head said no, bike head said yes. Work head won. Half an hour later he was back on the phone, and bike head won, I couldn't resist any more. We went out, only a mini scoot to J&S for a mooch and coffee, but you know what, I could have stayed out all day. Now, if I'd still had the BM, NO WAY would I have gone out.

It may be that a change of bike is whats needed. I got me mojo back and I can honestly say that I will really REALLY ENJOY riding again this summer. Worth a thought?

Also when we go out we have intercoms, they are a game changer when out with your mates. You can have a good laugh, discuss all kinds of non important shite, and give heads ups for a nice booty on the sidewalk.

Whatever the issue is, you need to find it, fix it, and then enjoy being out. if you aint enjoying it there is simply no point.

Stuart

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sold my 750ssie last year when I had an off,broke my shoulder blade and damaged my rotator cuff,thought at 77 it was time to call it a day.Now missing it not being in the garage to tinker with,will have to see in time.

17. Nowt actually ‘wrong’ as such. The riding position wasnt for me, seat height a bit too much for my liking when stopped, just stuff like that mate. The bike was an absolute weapon on the road, for me it was simply an overkill in excess in every area, making going fast, read warp speed, way to easy. They are a fantastic bike if you want a 1l sports jobbie no doubt. I should have tested one first I suppose but hey, ya live n learn.
    Stuart

• Like Like x 1
  18. I know what you mean I've gone back to a 600 road bike now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I will miss the total ballistic power of the BM, course I will, it was kinda adictive, but as for overall enjoyment factor, the Striple wins hands down. For me anyway. A modern day 600 is well enough for the roads any day, enjoy and ride safe.

Stuart

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information