1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Mileage Sf For Sale, Would You?

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Triple7, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Hi all, fairly new to the forum but have received a warm welcome already! As I said in my Newbie thread I've not got my hands on a SF yet but am definitely in the market for one.

Found one for sale, albeit the other end of the country to me for a reasonable price. Its a 2012 848 that has only done 3000ish miles. Now having a low miler SF would be awesome but I'm of the mind that these are machines that need to be used and benefit from a little bit of regular use rather than being stood around for ages? Its only had 1 service which sounds like the run-in service to me so to me its had the same oil in it for maybe 5/6 years?

What do you lot think, better off finding a slightly higher mileage one that has been used and regularly serviced or reckon it'll be fine?

2. Buy it. Have it serviced. Rag the tits off it :upyeah:

Job jobbed.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lol when you put it like that.... :D

4. What he ^^^^ said. Ime Ducati’s work best when worked fairly hard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If that is the one at MBmotor? it's been for sale nearly a year as I was tempted when looking for mine, especially as the mileage is low.

Price and condition look good, so as above, buy it, pay out for service and battery and enjoy.

I waited for the 'right' one to come up privately with termis, service history and lowish mileage, the guy selling was genuine and the price was very good.

It's been brilliant except for too much backfiring on the over run, cured by a TPS reset.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Get them to service it and buy it.

I don't see the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

7. That's the one. Hmm wonder why its been for sale for so long? Did you actually go and see it then? If so would be useful to know your thoughts?

In terms of servicing, do you think belts will need doing as iirc isn't it 15k or 5 years? Imagine it needs new rubber if its still on the original tyres. And obviously an oil + filter change.

Yeh wasn't sure whether to hold out for one with all the right spec as I've got no interest in the stock cans and know aftermarket cans can be pricey. But at such low mileage it may be worth a punt.

8. Or buy my 1098 SF

20180721_150816.jpg

20180721_150510.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'd say new rubber and a proper service before taking it away personally

10. I think there is a different schedule but is it 5yrs? Thought that was only latest model Ducati’s.

11. For servicing, its still XXX miles or one year for an oil change though, so it should still have the annual stamps for each oil service ??

12. Yeh ideally that's what I would've liked but the dealer had said it only had the 1 stamp at around 700 miles. However I think it may have gone now funnily enough as the listing has been taken down lol, I'll call them tomoz.

13. Mate, personally I wouldn't touch it. I'd rather have one thats been run a bit as opposed to sitting in a garage for the last 6 years with the same thick residue sat in the sump leaving the bores, rings, seals etc to all dry out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Service history is important. If you ever have any out of warranty problems - blown instrument panel, swollen tank - which Ducati will normally help you with, they'll wriggle like hell if they find anything amiss with the service record. On my 1098 SF they tried to dismiss a goodwill claim to replace a blown instrument panel on the grounds that the original owner had missed one annual service. He'd had the bike serviced by mileage but one year hadn't ridden it so didn't bother to change unused oil at the end of the year.
    They didn't like the fact that I'd had a service done by Louigi Moto either, because they're not main dealers.

Why failing to change clean oil after twelve months should cause an instrument panel to pop or make a fuel tank swell is a mystery but that's how it is. If anything goes wrong and you need the factory's help, you could be on your own if there's a big blank in the service book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Are you listening @Exige ? Scrap all of your worthless pension fund forthwith! o_O

I'm off into the garage to set fire to some of mine. :bomb:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Ha ha yeah, I"d better get busy with my lot too. I didn't realise they'd be worthless in a couple of years time!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I’m hanging out for a few years time....

18. Who's to say this lad hasn't ragged the tits off it for 6 years and just had mileage correction done to show the first service mileage ?? With no history at all, I'd be sceptical, regardless of what these pension collectors say o_O
    Does it have every MOT at the very least ??

19. Now you share this, too late for me now, I've already been in the garage with a mallet. o_O

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. 58,I fully appreciate what you are saying on this particular bike in question but for me i brought my 996R last year and that had not been used for six years/parked up, the chap/seller in his sixties/fired it up regularly and before that in 2014 the 916sps not used for a very long time many years in fact.but i have to say i'm a very happy camper:):)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information