1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Lower Fairing Rubbing

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Grant Hay, May 28, 2014.

1. Hi ,

I have an issue with my 1098 in that the lower fairings seem out of alignment so that looking from the front behind the wheel there is a bit of a gap between the v panel and fairing on one side and on the other side it sits nice inside the lip of the fairing if that makes sense

Is there any brackets that are adjustable to compensate for this ? as it has rubbed away a bit of the paint on the standard red v panel and I have replaced that for a carbon one and don't want the same happening.

Perhaps its been down the road at one point and something's slightly bent.

Im also looking at a carbon bellypan for it , is there any ones people can recommend ? I've seen the carbon trader ones which are reasonably priced also.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Right or left side? If its right side, do you have any after market hoses installed. I do and as a result the fairing panel is a struggle to get flush. Are all the panel screws, mainly the one right in the middle, completely seated, with no cross threads? Have you tried the panel, minus the belly pan?

3. Hi , the gap is on the left hand side edge and on the right hand edge it is sitting inside the middle fairing as it should

I've no hoses etc fitted and everything's tight and seated as its the first thing I checked.

perhaps I can elongate the holes on the new v panel and adjust it that way and would probably be the easiest solution but if you push lightly on the side fairing it moves slightly and fills the gap and all looks good but as soon as you let it go then it springs back out.

The only other part I have fitted is a evotech oil cooler guard which will push the v panel forward maybe 3 or 4 mm.

Cheers

4. Okay cool. How big is the gap in MM? Have you tried to manipulate the V panel in behind the fairing. The leading top edge sometimes gets stuck in front of the fairing. No rad guards fitted?

5. First off thanks for the help.

The gap is around 3mm which doesent sound much and if I didn't show you it then you wouldent notice but it really bugs me.

Its like the v panel is just hanging on inside the fairing and a bit of pressure will dislodge it then you can tuck it back into the fairing again.

The right hand side fairing has a solid alloy bracket to align and fasten the panel to however the left hand side is only connected via a clip onto the battery tray bracket, also the bike has been down on this side as there's a few grazes on the water pump cover so I think ill start on that mounting point and see if its been bent inwards.

Ill also elongate the holes on the v panel so I can get some side to side adjustment.

Cheers

6. okay before you start cutting stuff up, take the side panels off, including the V panel and try all the fasteners in their respective places. This will confirm just how far they are going in. Allow for 1-2mm which will be make up for the width of each panel ( before @El Toro pipes up, I know they're thicker than this.
    If its be down on the left, that wont affect the allow bracket on the right. Although a grazed cover only really says the cover has hit the tarmac, could have come from another bike, although thats pretty unlikely. Are you using the little plastic spacers on the panel screws as well. Sort of a clear plastic washer? These can make quite a difference.
    If you can post up some pics to give us a clear idea. Use photobucket or upload them straight through the forum. We'll get it sorted eventually :)

7. I've just put a new fairing bolt kit on it so the plastic washers were deffo fitted but ill try removing everything fit the fasteners and see how it looks.

Im currently offshore at the minute but will be home in a few days and will post some pic's if its still not sitting right.

Thanks again for the advice and incase you cant tell , this is my first Ducati lol after a long string of Fireblades so these small issues may take a bit of getting used to.

cheers

8. Not a problem, we're all here to help, so ask away. Fairing panels are a massive PITA anyway :):)

9. looking forward to seeing how this one ends. mine's exactly the same, loose V piece, scraped water pump cover and the pointy end bit of the L/H belly pan is touching the swing arm. the bracket there probably just needs knocking out a bit.

10. Interestingly, mine is also the same, and has been like that since I bought it used in March, and before I fitted the EvoTech oil cooler guard. No evidence that my bike has fallen over though.

I had the right-hand side fairing off last weekend, and am thinking of taken the left hand side off to see if there's an obvious cause of the problem.

Either all our bikes have been over on the stand side, or there's some inadequacy in the fairing design.

I wouldn't rule either option out ;)

Let the hive mind work on a fix.

• Like Like x 1
  11. i wonder now if any of them fit perfectly???

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Erm... Mine does .... :Cigar:

13. Then yours was probably dropped on the right-hand side ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The lower panel has a small clip on the rear of the leading edge that hooks up with the upper panel. If that's not fitted properly, it pushes the panels out and screws the alignment..

• Like Like x 3
  15. I'm stripping mine down at the weekend & will have a good scan around it.

16. ok. the bracket holding the l/h belly pan at the back is made of very thin sheet steel and can easily be pulled outwards to clear the swing arm.

IMG_0906.JPG

17. never noticed that small tab on the bottom front of the side panel before. :Banghead: the bit that goes into the belly pan.
    no wonder the panels never lined up with the belly pan and V piece.
    sorted now.
    IMG_1250.JPG

18. Mine has rubbed in exactly the same place as yours, gap is also different same as yours must be common problem, these machines have all sorts of niggles wouldn't be a Ducati if not. And mine has never been over and lugs are all located correctly.

#18 Mooneybravo, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  19. I have a nice set of 1198 S fairings in red for sale mint condition:upyeah:

20. I have always had the same problem. Can you post a pic of this clip please, I must be blind because I have no idea what you are talking about

Do Not Sell My Personal Information