1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M.o.t Failure

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cupid Stunt, Aug 28, 2017.

1. I'm confused Finm, were you unfriendly or incontinent o_O

:poop:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ouch...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. If the testers are allowed discretion? be nice to them
    driving to work in my A3 Audi, wrong side of the road (over center line) speeding 20 over, no seat belt?
    Bemmer cop pull me over?
    didnt try to put the belt on. he walked to the car, I said, "sure as hell didnt expect to see you here, never seen traffic enforcement here WITH A SMILE, I was done and knew it? he told me he had lived on the road for 2 years and I was lucky if i drove like that not to have met him before, told me i
    I was up for $1600 in fines good afternoon "Sir, hope we dont met again under similar circumstances, land rode off!
    I guarantee if i told him shit i would have worn it!
    ask the tester fix what he asks small stuff no problems, dont argue about small shit, dont want the big shit? i would rather fit new blinkers willingly rather than have to change the exhaust

#83 breakout998, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  4. as hard as it seems at times its not the owner your testing.(except in your case exe from here on in) its the machine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. every bit helps

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. my interpretation would be that the MOT tester is acting on behalf of the individual who might be tempted to 'jump on the back as its only 2km away' etc
    if the potential is there for injury, then the MOT tester has every right to mention it,
    passenger seat without pegs, on a 20k panigale.. or passenger Seat without pegs on a 1k scooter, same impact, but maybe a different mentality of the rider. but unfortunately the tester cant read your intentions or attitude in that short space of time..

but don't shed a tear just yet though as if you lived in Germany you would find none of the DP accessories have a ABE (Allgemeinen Betriebserlaubnis) so technically fail the TuV test .... so don't shout tooo loudly just yet... you still have it quite good ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. I think all of you who are trying to parse the MOT are nuts - the test does not make much sense in the first place. Testers are 'updated' every year and the specs themselves are changed all the time - latest version 27/06/2017. Even if the rules themselves don't change, the interpretations sometimes do and are notified to the testers via special notices. Another thing, consider how stupid the whole process is - big safety issues: How does your suspension react under hard braking? Not tested. Have you got the correct tyres? Not tested. If your motorcycle has been modified has it been done correctly or is it a ball of flame in waiting? Not tested. And so on and so on. But miss a set of foot-pegs for a hypothetical passenger or your indicators are too close to the brake light and they throw their toys out of the pram. It's all insanity so why bother whinging about it? The MOT is a 'cost of doing business' for a motorist so suck it up, don't try to understand it, just comply.

8. So, is that pegs on, or pegs off then?

It doesn't cost me anything to put them on/take them off so is that included in the cost of doing business? Or not? I cannot tell because it makes no difference to the bottom line. Is there another way of determining if the cost is included?

9. If you have two seats, put the pegs on at zero cost - simples. If you want to, take them off after the test - it's not rocket science. Having two sets of pegs on a single seater is not a failure so it's an auto pass for that element of the test regardless of cowl or not. If you were trying to be humorous ...... don't give up the day job (unless it's doing stand-up in which case, cease immediately and try plumbing instead. Just not in North London - somewhere else).

10. If you have two seats, put the pegs on at zero cost - simples. If you want to, take them off after the test - it's not rocket science. Having two sets of pegs on a single seater is not a failure so it's an auto pass for that element of the test regardless of cowl or not. If you were trying to be humorous ...... don't give up the day job (unless it's doing stand-up in which case, cease immediately and try plumbing instead. Just not in North London - somewhere else).

11. OK. I've informed my boss that I would like to keep working for him.

How does that assist in passing the MOT? It's not as if he is in the motor trade. Not only that, he wouldn't actually fit on any motorbike I have heard of, he's a bit on the large side. Also, with his short legs, he wouldn't be able to reach the pegs in any event.

Do you need to have pegs on the bike even though your boss has really short legs? Where does VOSA stand on that issue?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. *falling down laughing*

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. No, that's not correct.
    My 749R has no lights or switches.
    For the daytime MOT all is required is a number plate and horn. No brakelight, reflector, mirrors or anything at all otherwise it will fail.
    I'm not saying that it is safe to ride like that however I only have it to test the bike occasionally.

The 1098R has a full MOT as it has everything fitted and working.

14. I recall a discussion ages ago concerning "daytime MOTs" - there was a school of thought that they don't actually exist, that there was nothing in the regulations that allow for them.

Clearly Ricky can obtain a daytime MOT but is this a case of testers being kind and generous to him, or are they generally available, at any testing station?

15. No brake light ? Now I would have thought that was a must as it informs other drivers you are slowing down. The fact that they are catching up to you relatively quickly would be a dead give away but let's not assume eh lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. upload_2017-9-4_12-15-22.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. That's the rules. All or nothing.
    You need to bring that bike to my friendly MOT station!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. VOSA does not deal with leg length - yet another example of the insanity of the test. You can own and operate a machine you cannot control, that's 100% OK for MOT purposes. However, you fail to state your business and that of your 'boss' (which I take to mean 'wife' - the 'him' isn't fooling anyone). MOT's cost money, your Boss gives you pocket money, quod ipso demonstrandum.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. This is from an MOT provider:
    "
    Daytime MOT’s are also available for motorcycles. These are issued to Motorcycles which are used only in clear visibility conditions i.e. daylight. A VT32 will be issued alongside your normal MOT certificate which confirms the daytime/visibility restrictions which applies. Daytime MOT’s are applicable to classic bike owners which do not have lights fitted originally, or off road bike/track bike owners who want to make their bike road legal.

Any authorised MOT centre can issue a daytime MOT certificate with a VT32 advisory note if your bike meets the test criteria.

Daytime MOT requirements:
    • Your bike must “have neither front nor rear position lamps” or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are only to be used in daylight hours and not to be be used in times of reduced visibility.
    • If a stop lamp is fitted it must meet the requirements of the inspection
    • Registration plate must be fitted
    • An audible warning device (horn) A horn is defined as an instrument, not being a bell, gong or siren, capable of giving audible and sufficient warning of the approach or the position of a vehicle."

Do Not Sell My Personal Information