1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M900 Suspension Travel?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Mark9, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Does anyone know how much travel I should have on my 1996 M900 front forks?, they seem overly firm and I only have 42mm of travel, measured from the dust seal to the witness mark on the chrome leg, doesn’t seem to be much travel?, Cheers Mark.

2. Thanks Darkness, 42mm just can’t be right, spoke to Nelly briefly about it earlier, he was saying it could be blocked oil ways not allowing the forks to compress, I’ll get them stripped down at some point and see what’s going on, if anyone has an M900 and could tell me the travel they get from bike on sidestand to fully compressed that would be much appreciated, cheers Mark.

3. The dust marks on my ‘94 with non-adjustable Showa forks are 78mm from the dust seals when on side stand. That’s probably a little less than fully compressed as I don’t make a habit of doing stoppies!

Just a thought: oil level is very important in these forks. The air gap above the oil is compressible and acts as extra springing. If the air gap is too small it stops the forks moving through full travel.

4. Thanks Darkness, I thought maybe around 80mm would be it, that’s a good thought re oil level, as with all second hand bikes we have no idea what previous owners have done, I’ll start with checking that out, cheers.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information