1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic Motorcycling Moments

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Mark9, Jan 11, 2020.

1. mid Argyll, a warm mid spring morning, get 13 bends right, and traffic free. warra buz.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes I’d done the same check Exige, just a chance it’s sitting in a shed somewhere slowly turning to iron oxide and bauxite but more likely it’s donated it’s organs to other bikes, I think it was 1980 when I sold it, now I wonder what happened to the 400/4 it funded :-/

3. The first time i saw 150 on the clock ,then couple years later seeing 180 ,that did seem fast ,bit like a video game :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Back in the mid 70's my first ride on a big bike. A friend had just bought a 1000cc Harley Ironhead Sportster with open pipes, extended front end, and king/queen seat. It was in the fall, fairly cold, and rain. I took a trip down River Road (which had a long straightaway) and ran it up to 120 MPH (indicated of course). The feel of speed with wind and rain stinging my face and hands was exhilarating. To this day I always keep a Sporty in my stable........

• Like Like x 3
  5. My most memorable ride was Nairn to Crianlarich via Glencoe as fast as I could go on my Moto Martin GSX.
    Early 90's, first May Bank Hol Weekend went for a spin, heading north from Lincolnshire.
    2nd day was Perth to Nairn and back to Crianlarich and due to a fortunate meeting with some Harris owners in Nairn, I didn't go back down the A9.
    The two Harris riders, Neil and Phil were generous enough to keep stopping to wait for me to catch up.

Round the Coromandel on an 851 comes a close second.

• Like Like x 1
  6. April 1979 on my Suzuki AP50, approaching the first steep uphill section of my first ride and laughing as no pedaling required ! Why I must have whizzed up that hill at speeds in excess of 20 mph ....

upload_2020-1-14_15-48-46.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Being a pillion on a rd350lc with a slow rear puncture and the rider racing a ford capri rs 3.1 heading south through the blackwall tunnel. At the other side and coming upto a series of lights, matey boy riding decided to traffic light grandprix with the capri.

Pulling away at power band level saw the rd's front come up as did my legs. almost resting on his shoulders then coming to an almighty stop at the next nights and me headbutting him., four times :mad:

The lads in the capri said it was like watching buckaroo everytime the lights changed

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Taking my Honda over the mountain at the TT, the weather was bad, high winds & rain up to the Ramsey hairpin but I pressed on to be rewarded by sunshine, dry roads and very few other riders over the mountain, tucked down behind the screen with the great sound of the SOHC at full chat, for a few seconds I was Mike the bike, (at least that’s what I thought), magic! 467DEA81-EBF8-4429-8A66-0FB490A65DB2.jpeg

#28 Mark9, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  9. One of my most memorable moments was riding off the ferry in Santander for the first time ,the mixed sense of adventure/apprehension was a real buzz!... then riding through the Picos de Europa mountains a few days later... the roads are unbelievable .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Its got to be exiting the pit lane at Phillip island, 3rd March 2008 for a full on track day to remember. I’d already spent the weekend watching the 1st round of WSB in glorious weather. But nothing really prepared me for how fast this track is! Big balls and total commitment if you want to attack it properly. Loved the blind crests over Lukey Heights, the elevation change is dramatic before you hit MG and get blasted by the wind coming off the Bass strait. The temperature was so hot people were leaving by midday. I just about managed the full six sessions and god knows how many litres of water... Plus got to ride my racing Heroes bike number 34! Right under the podium.... :blush:

BA896085-8B3C-4D1B-882A-5D8C842AEB00.jpeg AD129A6C-2F65-4FFF-A132-B0E4F27378CF.jpeg E20BDC93-2423-4385-9D67-0F8EC55C5B48.jpeg 75CD9A0F-AA19-4EC3-AB77-66E25856196C.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  11. Going to see my potential first bike in 24 years (848 Evo) and not making it past the Panigale 1199 in the entrance way. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. First time opening up my 350LC after building it from boxes of bits when I was 19. It had a stage 3 tune, no power below 8000 rpm then wallop!!!! Soon put a hole in a piston tho!

picking up my 350 YPVS from a paint shop in Derby after having it painted in Kenny Roberts colours, it was stunning, should’ve kept that one

• Like Like x 3
  13. Coming back from Hartside on a GSXR750 srad. Medium pace, until a Lotus Elise pulled out in front and set off at a hot pace.
    What can you do? I thought...
    Roads were a bit crap with gravel as it was early spring so had to watch the corners, but good enough to crack on a bit.
    So , after passing the lotus, went for it, with the Lotus doing a good job of staying with me for 5-6 miles. I pulled over in to a little lay-by next to a pub on the moors..and the Lotus pulled in behind as I was taking off helmet and gloves.
    Hmm, pissed off me thinks...

The guy, fairly young gets out, smiling and laughing.
    "that was fooking great..nice to see someone going for it instead of pissing about...just sold my ZXR 750 last week..."
    Had a good bit craic with him, proper biker as it turns out.
    :upyeah:
    Couldn't stop laughing all the way home, great ride out, and the adrenaline was still pumping several hours after.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Taking my Garelli Tiger out for the first time on my 16th birthday, riding round & round & round singing ‘you’re 16’ (Johnny Burnett & Ringo Starr). I was out so long it got dark and my Dad had to come & find me as he and Mum thought I’d had an accident :confused:.

Riding my M900 to the South of France, spending a week cruising around Provence on the way then 3 months cruising along the Côte d’Azur :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. For me I think it was watching all the local bikers gathering at our local shops! I was about 9 years old and bike mad even then! Two lads,chunky dorman,and softy hardman,as I recall had ts125 and dt125! I thought they were the absolute bollox then the local big man Ned pulled up on his xs650! It was the biggest thing I’d ever seen !, everybody was a bit scared of him ,proper scary bloke , one Sunday he came out of the shop and caught me touching his bike, I thought he was gonna eat me!!! Instead he took his spare helmet off his rack put it on me and on I climbed!, he took me for about half hour and if I live to be a hundred years old I will never ever forget that feeling!,

• Like Like x 8
  16. Having the Grossglockner almost to myself on an early morning last year , listening to Pearl Jam is just one of mine that I haven't forgot I've done yet :punch:
    Glad I take lots of photos .....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Passing my test when I was sure I had failed in the first 2 minutes :upyeah::D

• Like Like x 1
  18. one of my greatest motorcycling moments lasted for the 42 days which was my big lil europe trip last year!!!!
    off road my best was on a small super cross track where i nailed every jump bar one, which was a big step up double with a steep as fuck down side and a really tight berm at the bottom. not many were getting that right. but it was a fucken great day.
    on road there are many. racing an undercover cop bike on the a23 was one. i was on my 748 and had it tapped to the max..he pulled me but i got off that one.
    another was coming back from jenc"S bbq. coming off the m1 and onto the a43 that takes you past silverstone and onto the m40 (one of my favorite roads anywhere) i encountered a guy on a gsxr(750 or thou?) and we had a dogfight till the m40. we stopped for a coffee and a laugh at a petrol station.. that was great. little traffic and no cops.
    there are so many magic moments. most times i get on a bike, even if just riding through london to work are great...there is the odd occasion when the weather is shit and im tired that its no fun but other than that, bikes are just magic full stop... even when you aint riding em!!!

• Like Like x 7
  19. that is a good feeling, had the same with my car test.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Being taken round Brands Indie circuit for a few laps on the platform of Roger Body’s F1 RMC sidecar unit with the man himself driving back around 1996.

Incredible forces cornering and especially braking. Often wonder what it would be like if he was trying!

God knows how the ‘passengers’ do it, especially at the TT.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information