1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic Motorcycling Moments

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Mark9, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Reminds me of riding through the square at Riva up to our hotel entrance to unload the bikes. My Supersport was filmed by a guy holding his kid under one arm while he walked backwards over wet cobbles. A 70 odd yo blokes comes out the hotel and was looking at my bike (the BMW's of my mates were ignored the whole time) then says in a Brummie accent "I'd rather have a Panigale". I thought fuck off and go find your mates from the coach tour you miserable twat.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. Ha ha, same here. Forgot to check it was in neutral and kick started it, bike jumped forward, this was right outside the test centre while the examiner was walking to his car. I was sure he saw it but still passed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1983, first ride on my TZ350 on practice day at Snetterton and a mate blagged me my first ever ride in the chair on a TZ750 outfit with a top national runner ( Tony Calvey), think he did European championships the following year?. Anyway within 3 laps we were going quick enough that we would have cleaned up at the following weekends meeting. Did a couple of races over the next year or two with other drivers but that day always sticks in my mind.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Admiring glances & waves from women

until they realise you’re wearing mascara to

priceless

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. i just thought of another one. although its trike and not bike...
    me mates old man had a stable full of old classics in his barn on a farm 10 miles ish from where i lived.
    me and my mate used to go up there and pull an old bsa or matchless out for a thrash every now and then..
    one afternoon, when we both had a day off work so went up there and found his bro had built a couple of twist and go trikes.. 2 wheels at the front 1 at the back. he wasn't about so we stole em and hit the road..
    its a mountain road so twisty as fuck.. it was mental as we were holding up cars on the uphills and passing em on the downside.. one of the best times ive had on wheels.. i was gunna say 2 wheels then...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Good thread this. It got me thinking. Loads of great times, but I thought that the seminal moment for me was really this photo. It was taken in the 60's and is me and elder and younger brothers on my Grandad's Honda. He was an ex scrambler and loved all things mechanical and it was his fault that I love bikes so much. We used to spend the summers with him in south London, exploring the banks of the Thames and rubbish dumps for scrap.
    Immediately after this photo was taken we crashed and broke the leg shields. Grandad just laughed. Such a happy childhood, I was blessed. Grandads honda1.jpg

EDIT: Just checked the DVLA site to see if the old Honda was still going - romantic thoughts of tracking it down and restoring. But, looks like its a dead duck. Photo was 1967 - tax disc.

#46 Expat Jack, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 16
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Must have been about 1977 , my best mates sisters, boyfriend turned up on a nearly new kettle. I had only been on the back of my dads bantam up until then , must have been about 13years old. Anyway he said grab a crash helmet ( my dads spare open faced , shot out of a cannon ,was the only one available and the strap had a safety pin to hold it together ) Off we went at warp 9 , me not sure wether to hang on to the bike or the lid that was trying to leave my head .
    That was it tho , even tho he scared the living s**t out of me , I was sold !
    Puddy :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. My best moment would either be quick shifting my 1198 up the Mountain on the IoM or riding with two friends around the Adenau/ Cochem area of Germany a couple of years ago. Fantastic! (Having the Panigale on the stop fully tucked in on an empty bit of European motorway deserves a mention too....)

• Like Like x 2
  9. my sister on my dad's james cadet

Maureen LDL937 high.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Cracking. I love these old photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. all of that makes me dream.... taking my 748 (no quick shifter and possibly a smidge down on power compared to the 1198) over the mountain would have to be up there with some of my best moments.... done it 7 times i think and loved every ride... drag racing at creg ny baa with the cops setting you off was a great blast too!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Loving her Nazareth knockabouts. Perfect footwear for motorcycling

13. lol.. untill i read footwear i thought "oh no, where is he going with this!"

14. down boy.............. she is 72 now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Here’s another James related magic moment, my father coming out of his house to find a James Captain I got for him to tinker with (he had one in the 50’s) 1C2FC4FD-15C1-4F74-BCCD-7B0E6EE0A8C0.png

And here approx 65 year ago
    1E0C5D07-264B-47FF-8317-68D34DC953F9.jpeg

#57 Mark9, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 2
  16. dam... as her age has now surpassed my IQ, it will probably never happen....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gilf

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. goldfish?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information