1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Mains Bearings

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by slinky848, Apr 10, 2017.

1. i just saw an add for an 848 for sale.

the seller stated it had just dont the 'mains bearings' and stated it was important to do on these bikes!

anyone care to elaborate on that?

2. I have heard of a a few 848 that shit their bearings whilst relatively new. Don't know if all were affected though?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. If you search the google Ducati 848 main bearing failure you will find several topics regarding it. It goes from 848 2008 to EVO 2012. I'm scared to death of my presenting this problem and at the first opportunity $$$ I'll do a blueprint of the engine and change all the bearings.

4. great news. so its the bearings inside the engine somwhere?

5. I have literally just purchased a 2012 Evo .... Should I be worried/doing something about this? :weary:

6. ive just bought one 2months ago, im not worried. but its better to know than not

7. People make it sound much worse than it is. As a % of bikes in circulation it's not that many. Richard @ Louigi moto told me a few in each production run are built too tight and damage the bearings from side loads. Usually shows up at fairly low miles especially if bike is tracked. Mines on nearly 20k now and engine is as sweet as.

8. Early batch of bearings I think, 1098's were affected too - not many go but some do unfortunately. Ducati eventually changed the bottom end on the 1198 engines and presume the 848's of the same era.

• Like Like x 1

9. not true until piccys!

10. Probably not, service to schedule or more regular if tracked :)

11. never cease exige

12. :grinning:

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  13. nice, i think i regret choosing matt black for mine. but i kinda went for the parts on it rather than the colour.

would any swear against those £500 fairings on ebay? and a sprayed tank? or is that blasfomy?

14. got any plans for yours?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes i'm sure I have, the more research I do I find stuff! Lol. Brand new to Ducati so it is all new to me at the moment. For sure though the starter cable kit, I have managed to locate a genuine single seat cowl, just need it spraying to match, and of course the Termis ... Might have to wait a while for those though! Hoping to get it re mapped when they go on, oh and want to get the suspension setup right too asap, it is a tad 'hard'!

16. not sure what your budget is, but i have an upgraded rear ohlins, and ohlins internals in the front, its strangely firm and planted but absorbs harsh bumps like speed bumps really well.

i think most exhaust systems come with the performance ecu upgrade? dont quote me though.

i tried have the baffles in my acropovics. i just couldnt leave them there. the thing is a beast without them.

i pretty much have just been through what you will now (new to ducatis)
    so enjoy [emoji106]

starter cable kit?

a few mods on mine bar the suspension

is a dry clutch, pretty meh unless you race/ride crazy hard. carbon exhaust shield. the one inside the frame to replace that orange thing they put in there! haha.

new levers and unfortunatly cant comment on stocks but these titax levers feel great.

theres tonnes more but meh. didnt do the most of it myself so

• Like Like x 1
  17. 848 was my first Ducati. Loved it, put slash cut Termi's on (Came with ECU upgrade and filter) Removed rear pegs and fitted a seat cowl. DP bar ends and oil filler cap. Ohlins steering damper. Awesome bike, awesome on track. Kept it set serviced and accepted that it was plop on fuel and occasionally cut out at the lights but that was part of its charm, would I have another....Yep

18. Use mine for commuting/ light touring, not really trying to modify, just improve things that don't work for me

Starter cable kit
    DP Neoprene seat
    R&G tank grips
    CarbonKing hugger

Bridgestone T30's

Have considered levers and or Oberon clutch slave. Will sort gearing when chain and sprockets eventually worn.

I'd love a Zard system and remap but there's a long list of life essentials ahead of that and I'll probably be commuting by electric bike by the time I can justify it so the stock system is staying. I quite like it and since most get replaced it ends up looking unique as a result. IMG_0489.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. im still now interested what this starter cable kit includes. and. why its common to fit.

standard cables break?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information