1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man Cave Is Go!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Topolino, Apr 17, 2020.

1. I know where all my tools are. Theyre usually on the floor congregated around where I was last kneeling/lying/crouching.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fantastic build Topolino :upyeah:

Would you mind sending me details of the Wi-fi card you used in the garage door controllers ? I have the same controller on my SWS door and I've been thinking about making it 'Smart'

#182 pilotpaul, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  3. Amazing

• Like Like x 1
  4. Look for the "Meross" Smart Garage Door Opener on Amazon. If you look back through this thread, there are some photos of the install. If you need any help then drop me a PM....Topo

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Getting around to completing some of the final fixtures and fittings for the garage. Today was the LED undershelf lighting. I found a perfect solution to hiding the LED strip by inverting a bathroom seal trim and bonding it to the front of the underside of the shelf, this not only hides the strip but directs light back and downwards onto the tool chest and worktop. The hardest job was cutting and fitting all the conduit to hide all the wiring. This is a Govee RGB strip so multiple colours and different modes, so can flash and change colours in time with music, or you can set it to a permanent colour, adjust intensity and of course control it by a timer or to react to another event through IFTT or control it via Alexa or Google assistant. Total overkill when a straight fluoro strip will do, but hey ho.

Conduit and control panel box (on the left)

20210721_194009.jpg

Here is the Control panel, where you can select the lights off or on, the mode you require, or the colour (seen here in blue). I have some white "snap caps" to cover the shelf bracket screw heads, that will go on later

20210721_194015.jpg

Cool white is the default colour

20210721_193957.jpg

There are 24 million other combos (as with any RGB system) but here it is in red.

20210721_193915.jpg

In case anyone is wondering the white box on the tool cabinet is a Smarthings 3.0 Hub, which when I have time, will go into the network cabinet on the wall. It provides Z-wave and Zigbee services to some of the security devices in the garage and work independantly of the CCTV.

#186 Topolino, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  6. Great Stuff !

• Like Like x 1
  7. Topolino, going back to the early days of your garage construction, do you know how thick the hardcore layer is & how thick the concrete layer is please ?
    My son is building a garage & we are about to start on the floor so just interested in what others have done.
    Consencous seems to be 4-6" of hardcore & 4-6" of concrete should be enough, but we want to sink a car ramp into the floor so that when it's fully down it is level with the floor.
    Cheers :upyeah:

8. Sadly I was away when the base layers went down. I do know they had to go down an additional half a metre with the foundations (on the advice of building control inspection) due to in part the clay soil IIRC. If I can garner any more info I will let you know.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. These look a little thin and flimsy having watched their installation video. Evident from the fact that you can cut them with a mere Stanley knife. In addition they sit flat on the surface of the concrete beneath, unlike the Racedeck tiles which are around 12mm thick, and which sit on "feet" that allow any spilled fluids, such as water, oil or hydraulic fluid to seep/drain underneath. Horses for courses ultimately but it might be worth you shopping around. I can't vouch for the longevity of these tiles but my Racedeck tiles are almost ten years old and virtually bombproof. Yes expansion is an issue (as with any flooring system) but only becomes a problem if you have not allowed a sufficient gap at the edges of your floor. My skirting boards sit on top of the tiles with a lower rubber strip that rests on top of the the tile surface. This allows the tiles to expand and contract freely whilst still hiding the necessary gap. Somewhere further back in this thread, I added in the contact details for their European suppliers. I'd highly recommend you give them a call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Managed to put together a time lapse of the build in 2020. This is merely for the main construction. Obviously a lot more work went on inside with wiring, security and networking systems, flooring, decorating, electrics, plumbing etc.

• Like Like x 14

11. I found that really enjoyable to watch

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Excellent that

13. You missed a trick there - just needed a mannequin with it’s clothes changing throughout and it would have been proper HG Wells! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nice, a little grow room too. I'll have a £20 bag plz when youre ready.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. @yoyati

16. You started a thread asking about garage flooring and specifically Racedeck - this thread contains a garage build that uses Racedeck tiles and the OP’s experience with them - in short - he recommends them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Exactly this :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information