1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man Cave Is Go!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Topolino, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Yes, though any cheap heating oil we buy will have to be transferred over to the new tank as this one (temporarily re-located next to the house), will go in the skip when the new double skinned one is set up to the side of the garage out of sight. 1000 litres at 19p per litre last time I looked!

2. Outer walls starting to take shape.

06-05-20.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Inner Thermalite block work wall starting to go up and cavity wall insulation fitted. This should make tinkering in the garage in the winter months, a much more pleasant experience. You can just make out the doorway and window apertures to the side of the garage. The door leads into a small hallway and onto the staircase up to the annexe on the top floor and there will be an internal door to the garage. The window will allow some natural light into the garage when I want to work in there during the day.

07-05-20.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Very nice... X

5. I would think the giant conifer directly south of the greenhouse has a far greater effect on blocking light than your garage will anyway!

Loving the time lapse - instant gratification! :upyeah:

6. Thought you might sink a bike lift into the floor

• Like Like x 1
  7. And one to the upstairs too :thinkingface:

8. Hmm hadn't thought of that. Though I have a freestanding one in mind

I have carte blanche to design the garage as I see fit. My other half will have the last word upstairs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. That's only (not) fair :eek:

10. Inner block work almost complete. Another four layers yet to be laid before the structure gets to first floor joists and lintern level. Builder will be back on Monday to finish all the block work, then he can turn his attention to the top floor.

08-05-20.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well her Dad is offering to fund any shortfall we have if we go over budget so I am not really in any position to complain. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. You think he has his eye on the flat above the garage?:thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nope he's all good Noobie. More than likely however that one of my kids might turn it into a make-shift home from home when they finish Uni. That is until I tell them they have to pay rent! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Blockwork nearing completion. Three more courses to go onto the eastern wall and a few more along the front plus completion of central garage door pillar. Window and side door lintels are in. Garage door lintels later this week. Floor joists should arrive towards the end of the week. It's only as the walls have steadily grown in size is it dawning on me how big this garage is. Wall plate has to be affixed as well, then I think we are due our third stage Building Control inspection, before the roof goes on.

11-05-20.jpg

#74 Topolino, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  15. Is the upper floor going to be wood built rather than the breeze block?

16. I’m assuming from the 6 metre ridge height that it will be a chalet style upper floor with attic trusses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Just catching up with this thread Topo.

Impressive work with the ‘bungalow’ but also I’d like to add my condolences for your loss.
    :pensive:

18. yebbut... he doesn't live alone stu...
    He's the man of the house and he wears the troosers... she just tells him which ones. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. @Topolino are you doing all the brick work yourself?
    if you are, I'm very envious.

20. Why on Earth would anyone want a chick living in the same country :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information