1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man Cave Is Go!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Topolino, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Mixture of both Noobs, though only the north and south elevations will be block work.

Yes, exactly that. Internal stairs up to the annexe and a separate internal door to the garage.

Thanks mate. It's been a rough few weeks for the family mostly having to deal with my elderly mother in the wake of Dad passing away due to her vascular dementia but she is gradually coming to terms with being on her own which is a start. Does mean I will have to travel down to London more often but then she has watched my back for over 50yrs, so it's only right I do same for her now that she needs more help.

No Sev, I don't think I would want to even if I could. This is one project that is beyond my capabilities. I can happily rebuild a Panigale from scratch but this is another ball game entirely.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Blockwork all but complete and garage door lintels now in place. One more lintel needs to go in for the internal door to the garage but for now the main ground level outer structure is done. Scaffolding starts tomorrow in preparation for the arrival of the floor joists, hopefully later this week.

12-05-20.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. Scaffolding now complete and internal under-stairs block wall going in as I speak. Also internal fire door frame and lintel into garage will be done by the end of the day. The void under the stairs will also have a fire door (accessible from the garage) that will allow me to store a few bulky items and also will provide the space to house the mains pressure immersion tank/water heater. I will try and take some shots inside later today but for now here is the latest exterior shot. Floor joists are now arriving on Tuesday next week, so probably not much more progress until then. The attic trusses are a couple of weeks away.

14-05-20.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Good progress you seem to have a decent builder.

5. Yes we did a lot of homework first and he was highly recommended to us by a number of people. Even my neighbour who knows him and has worked with him in the past, said he is an all round good bloke. Very hard working and methodical and given he has had to do most of the work to date by himself, I am amazed how quickly the main structure has gone up.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Floor joists have finally arrived. These are mahoosive!

SIDE GATE - 5-19-2020, 11.17.55am.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Everything is mahoosive about your army barracks - sorry I meant garage...LOL.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Thought I'd post up some pics up close and personal. As an aside, I have already compiled about a min or so of time-lapse footage of the build so far. I'm hoping the whole thing can be condensed into under three minutes, but that will have to wait for now. So got back from work today to find the floor joists are now on. Bar one or two longitudinal struts to be fitted, it is pretty much done. Roof trusses and the staircase are next but as yet not sure when they are due to arrive, hopefully within a week or so. Temporary OSB board will sit atop the joists so the builder can walk across the joists. These will be removed once the roof has been fitted to be replaced with standard floor boards once the roof is made watertight.

roof-01.jpg roof-02.jpg
    View from first floor level

up-top.jpg
    Opening to allow for staircase from ground floor

up-top-1.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. Side door entrance leads to the staircase (yet to be fitted) and to the left will be the internal door into the garage.

entrance-01.jpg

Should be toasty in the winter months hopefully. Thermalite inner block work, cavity wall insulation then outer block work, which will be rendered. Dam-proof membrane fitted where necessary in accordance with building regs. Inner block work will have a further Celotex cladding applied, then plasterboarded throughout.

roof-03.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  10. View inside. Inner block-work wall separates the garage from the entrance/staircase. Void under the stairs enclosed by this wall will form a storage cupboard, hence the second lintel, to house things like paddock stands, axle stands etc., when not in use. To the left of this wall, the alcove formed by the partition is where the workbench will be, plus any shelving, along with the tool chests/drawers etc.

inside-01.jpg

inside-02.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Looking good top. Looking at bbc weather under Norfolk, it shows heavy rain Thursday evening then Friday with heavy rain and some lightening. That is for Norfolk so it might be worth you looking for your area so you have prior warning if it's coming to you, to keep the dry stuff indoors etc etc

12. Yes thanks for the heads up Noobie. I will let the builder know. Any critical stuff is already under cover or in his on site container, the only thing that may need protecting is the remaining roll of insulation. The OSB boards as I mentioned, are only temporary, so doesn't really matter too much if they get wet, though I will probably ask him top place a tarpaulin over them to keep the worst off.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nice build Rod:upyeah: As always :p

14. Thanks Dave. Lot more work yet to do but it is at least moving at a reasonable pace. Really hopeful I will be able to have my bike in there by the end of July, but a lot depends on the availability of tradesmen, supplies etc. under the current climate.

15. I wouldn’t expect anything less with your levels of detail and work ethics :bucktooth: Hopefully we will see the new machine in its home very soon:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Well it's been a while. Not quite sure where to start as a LOT has happened since I last posted here, so I will post up some updates in a logical sequence. I'm also over 1200 frames for the timelapse video I am putting together, so that is also in the pipeline. Hopeful of a mid-late August completion date so I might even be able to put the bikes in it by then, which have been in storage for over a year now. :astonished:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Roof structure in place with apertures for the two main Velux windows and the smaller end veluxes (bathroom and landing over stairs)

Img-0771.jpg

Gable ends / block-work complete

Img-0816.jpg

Upstairs, the stud walls went in shortly after, for the bathroom and immersion tank cupboard.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sofit boards fitted and yet more scaffolding erected.

Img-0882.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Batoning and felt fitted, at least the roof is watertight.

Img-0981.jpg

Edge and ridge tiles fitted (just out of shot)

Img-1011.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Roof completed and velux windows fitted.

20200630_212022.jpg 20200630_212103.jpg

• Like Like x 11
Do Not Sell My Personal Information