1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Massive Flat Spot

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Danny88, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Wait, your fuel filter is marked 1996?!

2. Yeah, it has a date printed on the side. Presume manufacture. Who knows when was installed though. Could be the frigin original for all I know.

3. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......... Full service history then. Don't throw it, the Natural History Museum might want it.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. He could always sell it..

5. Do fossils get a good price then?

6. So just to update this, new fuel filter and ring being delivered today, along with air filters (aren't the issue but they looked tired) also I changed to NGK plugs as the ones in the bike are champions, not sure if they're good or bad but read more negative about champion so that's that, then will see if she can rev past 7k and pull, if not I will be back on with more questions. Apologies for my lack of knowledge, first Ducati and first time working on it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. That's one the many good things about this forum, the help & knowledge that's available and freely shared. I've learnt so much from it and continue to do so. Ask away if you're not sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. When servicing/changing fuel filter etc. I would always check the TPS setting as it can make a big difference to the running if out of tune. I have fitted a lead with a terminal block exiting the ECU plug on the 916 so that I can simply connect a voltmeter for this very purpose and it only takes a few minutes to check/set.

A few years back one of the TPS retaining screws broke, causing it to move about and the bike ran like shite...

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Thanks for the advice Dukedesmo, I will take a look while I am waiting for the parts to be delivered.

10. F9F535AE-AB33-41EB-A21E-D30B3720690A.jpeg Uhm, this bad?

11. No doesn't look bad.

• Agree Agree x 1

12. So amount of oil is ok? Phew

13. looks like the oil is on the outside of the plug, the electrode looks fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The only way I can think that oil could have got there is if you, or a previous owner, either removed the plugs and dropped a small amount of oil into the cylinder, as the bike was going to be laid up for a while, and some got onto the plug thread or someone purposely put some on the plug's thread to avoid corrosion and ease it in and out. Either way, it's nothing to worry about.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Update time: so changed the fuel filter with 1996 on the side as said and also changed to ngk plugs from champion. I am not sure which was the culprit, perhaps the original fuel filter or a combination but my god what a difference. It’s like a completely different bike. Pulls beautifully in all gears and tries to pull my arms off. Feels brilliant. Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. The only thing I have to investigate now is the chip. My bike has termis on but the ecu still has the sticker that looks untouched so I presume the original chip is still within. Is it worth changing?

• Like Like x 4
  16. I think you can buy the stickers,so it may have been changed anyway.If its running well,and it sounds like it is,Id just get out and enjoy it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. I sometimes wonder if having the tank off at some point, the incorrectly fitted back, traps/nips/blocks some of the hoses causing air/fuel starvation?

18. Could well be. I also found a slight blockage in a vent pipe. So it’s probably a combination. Was an absolute bastard to get the seal back on but the one that came off was deformed and pinched but never leaked. Should be good for a while now. I hope. Was good to do aswell as got to know my bike a little more. Have a good look at everything. Found a few cracks in fairing which I glued from inside to stop them progressing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. coil leads braking down under load ??

20. Hi stu. It’s all sorted now. The fuel filter and spark plug change completely cured the issue. If it hadn’t that may have been my next step but first I had to start with a correctly serviced bike so I knew where to go from there. Bike is running lovely now. Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information