1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Max Milage

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AndreK, Sep 26, 2020.

1. The thought of parting with my 2018 1260s is devastating! Only bike in my life I’ve kept for over a year! Well reassuring to kno they can get to such high mileage . Gonna take something pretty special to get me to part with this one

• Like Like x 1
  2. 180.000 Km on my 2010 MTS

• Like Like x 6
  3. Awesome, how has reliability been and what has worn out except things like chain, pads etc

4. Wow, impressive. Sort of famous name in NL. Eric O

5. Mine was One of the first MTS 1200 to be delivered in NL. I suffered from most of the initial problems. Porous heads, sticking butterfly valve, collapsing radiator core, Gear shift indicator problem. I only started having problems with the fuel level sensor recently. All of those Initial problems were solved by Ducati in a great way. Bike has been completely reliable from 70.000 km onwards. Only exception was the gear return spring. Failed at 150k. Have been stranded twice in all of the km. Once with a faulty hands free unit. Which is a common problem. Once with a failing kill switch. Given my experience I definitely do not recommend buying low mileage 2010 MTS-es. Current oil consumption is lower compared to my brand new 1260GT. It is about a litre in between services. I’ve never compromised on maintenance. Bike has been dealer serviced according to the Ducati schedule. Have lost count of maintenance parts like chains, brake pads and tires. Currently on third set of front rotors. Rear shock was rebuild two year ago. Must have gone through at least 5 sets of front fork seals. But to be fair, bike is ridden al year round. Not shying away from rain or salt on the roads. Which probably explains the front rotor wear and the failing front fork seals.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks Erik. Very useful information. I was considering buying an extra 20k engine but I’ll just keep driving with my ‘only’ 60K now

7. @Eric O on every big desmo service; DVT owners should request gear return spring is replaced. As the engine is apart its tiny extra job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. '11 model with 70K km. Runs like new. Always followed service schedule except the oil which I change every 6K (instead of the official 12K). I have never topped up oil in between, regardless of weather/riding conditions. Never consumed more than 200ml. The motor stopped producing metal shavings at 36K km. I believe that to be the time where the motor was completely ran in :D.

Apart from some o-rings in the motor it has been absolutely reliable (small leak that was fixed during normal service). Only problems were electronics related (a MAP sensor that stranded me once and a bad key). Recently the valve started seizing but I find that happening is just a matter of time. Does not influence the running anyway. Never changed front suspension seals until the time it was fully serviced (60K km).

Absolutely brilliant. My only real complaint is the rear brake not being able to work properly for more than 1000 km...

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wow! 180k is seriously impressive! I’m actually looking forward to putting more miles on mine over the winter. If it ain’t raining or snowing....I’m riding!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information