Measuring Clutch Stack Height...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Speedy23, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Morning all, another silly question (which I will probably regret)....Everybody seems to agree that when setting a clutch up, you pay attention to the "stack height". BUT....when you measure the "stack height" of the clutch plates, how do you do it? Is it just the loose plates stacked on top of each other on a flat surface in the order in which they will be assembled into the clutch or does the stack have to be mounted in the basket and compressed by the springs? In which case, between which points is the measurement taken?

Thanks

S23

2. I just measure them in verniers when holding the group in my hand. But I find just adding and/or removing thinner/thicker plates and testing how it feels to be better for me rather than rely on measuring the pack. I can take a clutch on/off and apart in moments and quite enjoy the fettling tbh. You can do it quite quickly once you get into the groove.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You measure each plate and disc in 3 places to find the average if each component. Then add them all up. Measuring then as a stack is not the correct way as any slight warp will give you a larger measurement than is actually is. For example if you have 5 plates and 5 discs and each is warped by 0.05 mm your stack height measured as a pack could be up to 0.5 mm out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. Whilst Petsmith is correct in what he says above, the simplest method is to merely hold them all together in your hand, exert some pressure and measure with a vernier.

151FC08E-76AB-49E9-AB79-1C79481CEFA8.jpeg

#4 West Cork Paul, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. @West Cork Paul

Yes .... agreed
    .... measure the entire stack , with some gentle hand compression .

Using single plate measurements then adding it all up will just introduce a whole lot
    of variables , and make it very hard to get a consistent measure of stack height .

Note - there have been several threads on here about modifying the stack arrangement
    in order to make the clutch less chatty .
    I think of them as " recipes " and they are fine to play around with , so long as you are sure
    about your starting point .
    Mark every plate well with a Sharpie first , then you can happily experiment .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Also
    I stall stack and measure the distance from the outer plate to the face of the drum. Aim for approx 5mm.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information