1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metal Drill Bits

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Cream_Revenge, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Secret to drilling SS is pressure. Make the bit cut! Don’t let it rub on the surface. That’s what’s blunting the drill bit. Oh and of course, what ever your drilling never go in dry! Unless it’s brass.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. It isn't half fun when drilling stainless steel bolt heads for lockwiring with a 1.0mm drill bit in a small hand drill.

DeWalt seem to be the best for the job, but even they break if they hit one of those hard bits in the steel; particularly if they are in a power drill.

3. I think the drill bit was a bit blunt to start with NM, but a few good tips in there, I think I need to get myself a good set of drills as well, had these years :confused:

4. And a £10 bench grinder to sharpen the bits. They are surprisingly easy to sharpen once you know how.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. yes, four facets and a split point drill all day.

6. I bought one with the work piece table on a rack (and winding handle) so you can raise or lower the depth of drilling. This is a well worthwhile extra as trying to set the height of the table accurately with the clamp ring is a PITA. Also, when comparing possible products go for the one with the highest wattage motor as some you see will struggle to drill steel without the drill stalling.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. At Aldi right now..

upload_2019-11-11_21-24-3.png

8. Good to go for a good-quality second-hand one, as the cheap ones can be crappy (crappy = not stiff; low-quality clamps/vice; poor-quality chuck; small max-diameter chuck; insufficient motor power; small number of speeds; inadequate work-piece height/clearance and so on...), but most are better than a hand drill :)
    As a guide, try to visit a decent workshop and see what they've got then downgrade from that according to your budget. Very difficult if you're not used to a workshop environment...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information