1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metzeler Td Slicks (new Product)

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Phill748, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Has anyone used these:

https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/products/tyres/racetec-td-slick

They look like quite a good product for people of a more intermediate nature looking to get really good grip without the fear of needing to manage heat cycles and the 'window' of operation.

Just after some opinions really if you have used them.

I think they are roughly £300 a set so not sure how that compares to 'full on' slicks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah I've used them for the last 4 trackdays. Last ages, perfectly decent for trackdays (as it's name suggests). Only if you are right at the top end of track time such as those that race etc would you notice a big difference and I'm not at that level :joy:. For 300 quid tops I can't really fault them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Not sure if these are “new” new or the slicks that cropped up in a post last year. IIRC those tyres were considered a big step up from the previous generation Metzeler slick. As you know, I’m a big Metzeler fan boy and at £300, cheaper than the like for like competition. The 200/60 Pirelli Superbike slicks I recently bought (because of the size) were more, at lot more. Andy

4. About a second or so between these and an sc1/2 race tyre as a rule of thumb.

which is a pointless stat for trackdays but just as an idea. I would imagine they’ve (Pirelli) have just upped the silica content for longevity.

I plan to try them next. I know a few that run them that are happy.

I can’t believe we are at a point that £300 is cheap for tyres though. I was paying £280 a set for race tyres in 2019. Now some are paying £400+ for the same tyres.

#4 Advikaz, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Apologies, I only just saw some videos from Neevsey etc so figured they were pretty new.

Sounds like they are a good option for us for Jerez in spain, we are bike sharing so if we can take a set and a new spare rear we should probably be okay for the 3 days for 2 riders, and 1 front will probably last..

I'm sure we won't miss the 1 second!!!

6. Being a total anorak, I found this interesting, https://d1ykpo4jhzi0cx.cloudfront.net/download/1527511821386/metzeler_tdb_2021_lr.pdf :D Andy

7. I've ordered them! 2x Rears and 1x Front for Jerez in September, so we will see. All in £450 delivered, that's okay I think

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bargain :upyeah: Andy

9. Late response but I have used on 3 days. I did have a slide on a left hander at Snett Tuesday but it was first lap out and I was in first gear and gave it a handful. The slide surprised me but it slid out and then gripped. I felt like a god! On my 675. I will be buying them again.
    I’m ready to flip the rear after the three days.
    Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. “About a second or so…” which way?
    Slick quicker by a second or SC1/2 quicker by a second?

Sorry for my nerdiness.

11. Sc1/2 quicker by a second mate.

no problem :blush: generally you’ll find that for more endurance in a compound it’ll have a higher silica content. Rubber is good for grip, but goes off. It’s all a balance

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I’m happy to try them. I had what I think is the start of delimitation yesterday on rosso corsa which I admit aren’t up to 29 degree ambient track days really but I know I’m not the only one to have some failures with pirelli, hard to know though as they are probably the most used tyre out there

0FB57306-14CE-4705-835A-692DD5675F7B.jpeg

13. And this. But sure this one is from a stone or curb.
    B3BA049B-E9A5-4403-BE30-2968BD1AD5CA.jpeg

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Where did you get your TD’s from Phill?

15. Isn't that where the compounds meet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. As above. That’s where the compounds meet and in my opinion is fairly normal.

the slice, may not have been a foreign object. I’ve had that happen on numerous tyres (Pirelli’s and Metz especially). Can be a casting issue. Can be a storage issue. Can be fitting when cold.
    Numerous reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Not sure how many sets of Metzler TDs I have used in the last two years, but they are perfect for the Middle Group TD hero.

Good value, last for three days, seem to manage a wide track temperature range, don't seem too pressure change sensitive, but important to check after every session and don't go off a cliff.

18. no limits race support mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Just ordered a 200 TD rear.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes on the 1000 :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information