1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mhr In For Mot

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by cookster, May 17, 2020.

1. Depends on the purchase price to a degree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Customer wants it mot'd every year even if it doesn't need one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Very good from the point of a safety aspect,especially if your not hot on maintenance yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Depreciation is a moot point when I plan to be buried with mine....

IMG_2377.JPG

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Hailwood is a heavy old Hector to ride...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. What? I was suggesting that people can save money by buying a bike which depreciates less, or not at all, so not a new one. I cannot see there is anything "unkind" about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Why would the less well heeled not be capable of looking after it ? Aptitude or financially is implied .

8. No. Classic bikes old enough not to depreciate tended to need more servicing than modern bikes, even when they were new. And if they are decades old and probably getting worn out parts, extra maintenance is sure to be needed. Anyone buying a classic, regardless of how well-heeled or otherwise they may be, needs to be prepared for this, especially if it is a Ducati.

I suspect the less well-heeled are if anything better at maintenance, on the whole.

Those who want to just ride it, do no maintenance, and have it serviced once a year (if that) should get a Honda VFR800.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. To be honest, running a bevel on a budget means you need to know your onions. They’re not the least needy of motorbikes and whenever something drops off it’s £100+... and you need to change the oil continually, balance carbs, repair electrics and on and on.

They’re lovely but purchase, maintenance and preservation of a bevel is a commitment. I’m looking to get out of my twins and gonna focus on the little 250 Desmo as the house needs repairs more than I need to indulge myself... everyone that likes Ducati’s should experience the “feeling” of a good bevel twin at some stage. They’re special...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Would you like to nominate me as your undertaker.;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. I remember sitting on my uncle's brand new Kawasaki GPZ900 back in the day,and eventually got a ride on a mates one fifteen/twenty odd years later,& what a disappointment it was.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I wouldn't say the MHR is a disappointment, just a heavy old thing!

13. I couldn't get over the distance to the bars!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Did you find it "a heavy old thing" too?

15. Yes. That struck me when I had a close look at one in Baines. No way a shortie like me could feel confident riding one of these.

16. I have an SS, and from the age of 19 till 23 it was my only form of transport. Bike rallies, taking the girlfriend out, commuting to college, racing, the lot.
    They are a bit unwieldy, and the kickstart touches down a bit early on right handers, it only failed to get him once when I overreved it and lost a valve head.
    Compared to a panigale they are of a much earlier generation they probably will not lose money, but unless you know your way round a bevel engine or have deep pockets then the panigale is a much better bet, esp an R

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Now compare it to the bum:footrest distance.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. It was heavy pushing it in ! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. They're surprisingly tall too... and long.

20. Yes. I said to Geoff I doubt I could ride that. He just smiled.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information