1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Pilot Road 4

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Rapide, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Ah... I know.... I had a hardly used good pr2 for the front of the hyper an bought a new rear to match it up.... Thats the main reason it went for the pr2 and, ive gotta say I'm impressed.... Felt/feels much better than the m7rr's that were on the zed... Ive said before on here that I'm making a point of try all tyres possible once as I've given up with reviews... So I will absolutely be getting pr4s at some point but never again for the m7rr's unless I get offered some at half price...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

2. Update- I've had a set of PR4s fitted, fantastic tyre on the 848.

Currently planning a road trip to Monaco in May, so I'm hoping the longevity claims hold true.

They're still ugly though ;)

3. You're not dating them :smile:

4. You sound like my wife. You'll be asking me if I love my bike more than you next :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Loved road 2s. 3s less so.
    4s dont work well on GS for me (heavy bike) back squares off early, prone to punctures, front inclined to ripple/lift on the edges due to sipes if pushed. I did initially think the puncture craic was folklore. 2 rear tyre punctures later in not many miles changed my mind.
    Roadsmart 3 much better tyre though they do need more scrubbing in. wearing great. Wet and dry performance superb.
    Sportsmart 2 for sporty riding and 17" fronts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's really interesting as I had this problem on my PR4 front tyre and it spoilt the last day of a trip to Spain. Now on Angel GT after having many PR3/4s.

DSC07247.JPG

7. yes, seen them go worse than that.
    Angel GTs were good on MTS though I thought lacked feel. 1290GT demo bike had them on as well, roads a bit rubbish on todays test ride and they coped nicely.

8. Out of interest were you using the PR4 or PR4GT designed for heavy bikes such as the GS?

9. The pr4gt. ^^

10. Angel GT has a Multi specific fitment.

11. Wasn't aware of that, do you have any details?

I am running Angel GT's so just curious.

12. Got PR3 on my Yamaha which I tour on, very planted and grippy. some here mention punctures, I picked one up which was unrepairable at about 1000 miles but the replacement and front original have been good for 5000 plus miles. Will go to PR4s when I need to.

13. Same code as the standard tyre but with a D at the end. Its rear only. see here.

ANGEL GT , Motorcycle Tyres | Pirelli | Pirelli

14. Thought I'd add this question here rather than starting another tyre posts.
    I have the 2015 Multistrada 1200s DVT and coming up to my first tyre change.
    Was thinking about getting the Michelin PR4, but do I go for the standard ones or the GT? Or the trails?

However I am not 100% now after reading about the problems on the front and the squirrely handling due to the lateral cuts. Plus on top of that the quote I got from local tyre company for fitting £319. For that kind of money they need to be the best tyres ever

15. I've now done 700ish miles on the standard PR4 and still love them. The conditions haven't allowed a proper test of handling near limits on my Ducati, but they were always great on my last bike (covered about 2k miles). I'm not a road racer but have have done a few trackdays (inters); and some off road enduros etc. I wouldn't ever call them squirrely myself, just a nice progressive tyre.

I friend now has the GTs on his Triumph Explorer, he's only done a few hundred miles, so I can't really comment on the above issues. But he's very happy with them so far. I'm pretty certain they're the type you're supposed to fit to a Multistrada.

Tyre reviews are very subjective, but this discussion is about the most negative I've read or heard on the PR4s.

£220-250 fitted seems to be the going rate around this area.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Standard ones on my old multi and going on the new one in next few weeks. Got 8k out the front, they do wear a little funny but nothing that's a problem on mine. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just order the PR4's, managed to get a cheaper deal at a different place to where I normal go. £280 fully fitted, everywhere else round here in Dorset is over £300.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Really like the PR'4s, but on my hyper I only get about 3500 miles max out of a rear and 6000 on a front.
    Not sure if the compound is slightly different for bigger bikes. My mate gets around 8000 on his multistrada

19. Only get max 3500 from the rear on my Multi, the front does wear a bit strange but nothing that makes you loose confidence in them and they grip right to the end of life, had them on my K1300S as well and got about the same mileage.

20. Penny drops. Hi Phil!

Ed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information