1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power Rs Failure

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Android853sp, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Had an odd occurrence during our tour of Wales last week with a Michelin Power RS fitted to a BMW S1000 XR. Long story cut short, an 18”x0.5” strip of the inner tyre construction was exposed in the centre of the tyre. Tyre pressure was correct, tyre was legal according to the tread wear indicators and the bike passed an MoT 3 days prior to our trip.
    On further questioning, the mileage on the tyre was unknown although it had done about 1200 miles since the bike was purchased, second hand. Also need to point out that the Power RS has no tread in the centre of the tyre for a band of about 2” wide.
    Conclusion is, the rider was unaware of what sort of a tyre the Power RS is or that it would have a limited mileage life but now knows that it is totally unsuited to touring. The issue also highlighted the near impossibility of obtaining a replacement tyre (of any make) and getting it fitted at short notice in Llandrindod Wells. Closest we got was a tyre delivered in 48 hours (on a Saturday) but not fitted until 3 days later. Andy

2. I’ve been to Barcelona and back on Power RS shod 1098. Loads of life left in them no odd wear.
    I’d be inclined to suspect unknown damage or manufacturing error?

3. Michelin compared the performance of the Power RS with a Metzeler M7RR, a Rosso Corsa III and a Bridgestone S21 on a BMW S1000RR in 2017. Never used the Bridgestone but my tyre of the decade, the M7RR, never lasted more than 2500 miles on my Multistrada and the Rosso less than 3000 on a Diavel. I would not use a Power RS, or any of the tyres in that test or an S1000RR, for touring on Welsh C roads and the goat tracks the rider who does all our touring routes prefers. I’m sure the Power RS is a fine tyre but it has a specific application which, in this case, is not suitable for the intended use. Something, IMO, a rider should know and understand when buying tyres. Andy

4. Pictures???

5. Didn’t think to at the time and the bike has now been recovered to a local bike shop. Andy

6. If it’s same kind of tyre as SC, which I think it is, I’ve seen those gone from totally legal to Caracas in 100 miles

7. Those Pirelli's do go really REALLY quickly... you know it's on it's way then think I'll get another ride or three out of that and 100 miles later as you say you can see the carcass.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information