1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Mileage - Faults 1200/1260 Enduro

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Nasher, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Could I renew my request for somebody close to me near Petersfield with an Enduro to let me come and sit on it please.

The nearest one to me for sale at the moment is 50 miles away and it's a 1260.
    Ideally I'd like to have a sit o a 1200, and the nearest one for sale I can find is 80 miles away.

Thanks

2. Do Rapido or Snells have one? I’ll likely be heading over to the Isle of Wight on mine weekend of the 2nd/3rd so could potentially arrange a get-together.

3. Thanks Nik

MR and Snells have very little stock of any used bikes at the moment.

Might take you up on your offer when you are over this way.

4. Not sold my SS yet so still not able to commit to a 1200 Enduro, but do have some more questions.

My aim for this bike is to do some miles, and for it to be as relaxing as possible to ride.
    With that in mind, how loud is the Termignoni exhaust on these?
    I've seen a couple advertised with them fitted and don't really want to go down the loud exhaust route on this bike.

Also, I will be needing some Panniers, but will promise to remove them and not ride around with them on the bike empty.
    It's personal taste I know, but I prefer the look of the Aluminium ones, and from past experience understand that for my use top opening ones will be more suitable than ones that open sideways clamshell like.
    I'm sure all the aftermarket and Genuine Ducati Pannier systems are in reality similar with regard to useability, but are there any to avoid if already fitted?
    And is there any interchangeability with regard to mixing mounts and panniers between manufacturers?
    Also Pillion wise, are there any systems that restrict Pillion comfort etc.

Thanks

5. Also, one of the options I'll have to reduce the purchase cost of a bike is to get one of those offered for sale with the expensive 18K Desmo service due in the near future.

I'm confident with doing belts, I've done loads of 2-Valve air-cooled ones, plus my 999 as well as several cars.
    Oil changes etc hold no fear.
    I've also done the valve clearance service on 3 different 2-Valve air-cooled engines, but am unsure quite how much more onerous doing the clearances on the 1200DVT engine would be.

I believe several people on here have done it themselves, but from what I've seen it was on the pre-DVT engine.
    What do people reckon?
    Is it DIY'able for somebody with a good selection of tools, an amount of competence, and experience of doing it on older engines?

I realise there will be a lot more bike to dismantle to get to the shims.

6. This may help you decide

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks DS, a quick trawl through that does suggest it's no more difficult than the older bikes I've done, just more of them to check.

And actually, there is more room to work as there are no frame rails in the way and you are not doing keyhole surgery through a small cover.
    removal of the camshaft helps too when replacing them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Full system is louder, slip-on is something of a styling exercise as the silencing is in the CAT which is retained. It might have a slightly different note but i reckon that's all.

Here's a YouTube video of the full Termi system, TBH that would irritate me day after day on a tour.

And here's one with the slip-on, difficult to tell without before and after though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. There was a 1260 at Loomies Friday afternoon fitted with what looked like a full system.
    It sounded really nice, it arrived just as I was leaving, but I think a little too loud for my plans for the bike.

Does anyone have any comments on my questions about panniers?

Also. I've noted of course that there are 2016 bikes with low miles and 2019 bikes with say 20K miles on them all for sale at @£10k from dealers.

Is there any difference in spec between a 2016 1200 Enduro and a 2019 1200 Enduro?

Thanks

10. I personally think the Touratech ones are too big, but agree that the top lid is way more practical. I have DVT plastic panniers, and they’re a silly shape and the exhaust side is small. Better than nothing though, and I’m a little more confident about filtering through traffic. The ideal scenario would be a 2/3rds size Touratech boxes. I’ve also got some Givi pannier frames that I’ve used to support soft bags - they may end up with some boxes on them at some point.

I’d let the bike go with both though ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Thanks MotoNik

I really would like to understand if there are any spec differences between a 2016 1200 Enduro and a 2019 1200 Enduro?
    But I think everyone is fed up with me asking questions about a bike I don't own yet by the look of it.
    Don't want to be called Perry II.

12. I think I’m right in saying that on later models they might have made the seat narrower, in order to make it easier to handle if you are shorter in the inside leg department.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. That’s right, for 2019 the Enduro got a quick shifter, the height was slightly reduced along with a changed handlebar profile.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Massive love for the Givi Trekker Outback panniers on my 2017 DVT. I looked at the Touratech ones and other than “single key” I couldn’t bring myself to pay up for those. The Givi racks are quick release too for when you feel like going sans scaffolde…

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I have the quick release Givi frames on mine, and it’s a neat system.

16. I may now be in a position to start moving forward with purchasing a bike, and have a more specific question about Panniers.

I'm interested in a specific bike, which is currently fitted with Ducati Plastic panniers.
    I'd want to swap these out for a pair of Top opening Aluminium ones.
    Does anyone know for sure if I'd need to change the frames? Or will Ducati Aluminium Panniers fit the same frames that the Plastic ones are currently fitted to?

Also, I'm assuming that Ducati Aluminium Panniers will not fit Givi frames and Vise Versa.
    Is that correct?

Thanks

17. The plastic ones don't have frames per se, they mount directly to the subframe. Metal panniers require the appropriate set of frames for the boxes and the bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Ah, thanks Fire3500, that's the vital bit of info I was missing.

19. You should probably be able to sell the panniers separately (or keep them to put back on the bike when you finally sell it on)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. My search for an Enduro project went on hold abruptly when I brought back the 1000SS I sold to make space.
    It's a long story you may have seen.

I am still planning on buying a project Enduro, but as I currently don't have the space it would need to be a bike I couldn't refuse at the price and I'd store it away from home until I could make space.

In the mean time I've sort of carried on looking and researching.

I have now sat on a 1200 and 1260 Enduro, but was not able to ride either.
    I have to say the 1260 felt more comfy at a standstill, and does appear to have a lot going for it in comparison to the 1200 except the price.

But having not ridden any Multistrada for years, and actually still not an Enduro, I took the opportunity today to have a quick ride on a 13 plate 1200 Pikes Peak that is for sale with a dealer very close to home.

I was really disappointed, but I'm not sure it was the bikes fault, more a previous owners.
    It ran lovely, had plenty of grunt, and was in great condition.
    It felt fine when I was just sat on it, but felt like it had the most awkward riding position once I set off.

As I say, I think it's the 'adjustments' a previous owner has made to the handlebars and foot controls.
    If it's not I don't think I could ride one very far.

Looking at images of other bikes for sale it's difficult to tell if the foot levers and handlebars have been moved too much, so I thought I'd ask for opinions on here.
    This is the bike:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26580970...HUXq9yTNz2pN3Js0+BSYlVQLw=|tkp:Bk9SR4am4bHbYA

Firstly the foot controls:
    The gear lever especially felt like I was really having to point my toes downwards and back to get under the lever, and it appears to be pointing downwards well towards being vertical.
    Is this the normal position on a 1200?
    gear.JPG

Then the handlebars.
    I'm @6ft, and not Ape-like at all, but sat on the bike it felt like the step in the seat was pushing my arse forward several inches more than is comfortable, I felt like I was leaning backwards with my shoulders behind my Arse with slightly bent arms, and the handle bars were down too close to my knees.
    It felt like the handle bars have been rolled backwards and downwards, and not at all how I expected it to feel.
    My old M1000 DS which is obviously far smaller physically has me sat upright with my arse under my shoulders.
    Do these bars look as if they've been rolled back?
    Bars.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information