1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Misty Front Lamps

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by duc996bp, Apr 27, 2016.

1. the deposits on the inside of the glass are actually the early stages of algae caused by the constant hot/cold conditions producing condensation.

• Like Like x 2
  2. chris,,i have just put the bike back together now so i will try your idea next time the fairing comes off!:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. if you lived nearer I would help you do it (if you'd have wanted) :) - something theraputic about it. It is unlikely, but do check that the glass is sealed onto the housing properly, they are getting to the age where the two could start to separate.

4. Thanks for the offer much appreciated,,will look into this when it warms up a bit:upyeah::upyeah::)

5. Only use Isopropyl alcohol as it's the only solvent that doesn't leave a deposit when it evaporates. QED

6. IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0464.JPG

My experience in words with photos showing the stages of cleaning the headlight lenses.

I've just removed the old girls cataracts. She had a complete cataract in her left eye, and partial in her right.

First remove the top fairing then remove the headlight unit from bike before removing the bulbs; it is a lot easier and takes no time at all. Now remove the single screw in between the lenses that adjusts the headlight beam, then push the lights forward off the rubber mounts by pushing the bulb holders from the rear.

Once I removed the headlight from the bike, I removed the bulb holder from the left side and the projector unit from the right. This allowed access to the rear of the front lenses where the hazy deposits are. I also stripped down the projector unit to let me to clean the magnifying lens properly.

All done very carefully using a bent toothbrush moistened with water into which a couple of drops of washing up liquid had been added. The excess moisture was then removed with a micro fibre cloth wrapped around the toothbrush. At no time did I get any water on the reflector.

Hopefully this might help someone.

#26 George Kerr, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. IMG_0454.JPG I read somewhere the you should remove the horn to access the pilot bulbs, don't do it. Once the headlight is eased forward, use a small pair of pliers to grip the small tit between the wires and give a good pull as they will be quite tight. When replacing them, lubricate these and the headlight mounts slightly with silicon grease to make fitting easier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Good post George, I can see you'll become a valuable member of this Forum:upyeah:

9. nice one George, as you say, washing up liquid* (hardly any contain salt, but check anyway..) and luke warm water is all you need. All I would add is avoid rubbing chromed plastic face too much as some will become matt or even detach from plastic. Anything stronger than this* can start to break down the bonding material used between glass and plastic - have seen glass detach completely before.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information