1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R Model Update?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Jordan, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Considering a Monster yes. Want to keep my Multi and add a Monster. I actually quite fancy a 797. Small light and pure fun but all options are open. Won’t be buying a new 1200 though. It would be a s/h one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Decent KTM dealers are thin on the ground

3. I recently sold my multi and find the 1200 monster a much better bike for pretty much all of my riding. Not saying that the monster is a better bike, just that it suits me more. I was quite disappointed with the multi though. I have been lucky enough to ride many miles on the old 796 monster so i know how nice that engine is , I can see the attraction of a 797 .
    For me second hand is always the way to go as I hate depreciation. I bought an 821 recently for my wife and got it for £4600 and the 1200 monsters are now dropping to bargain level. A Ducati dealer in the north of England offered me one for £6300 and while it was 4 years and 14000 miles old the price included the belt and valve check service, a new mot and delivery to me 200 miles away. Not bad.

4. That's cos they are shite, I personally know three people who have/had KTMs and have/trying to get shot. All bikes have broken down, one replaced once already (new on broke down within a month), one 15 breakdowns in eight months and the other gave constant problems and all the dealers could say was Uh, we'll see what we can do, didn't even offer a loan bike. Two have already swapped to BMW and the other is waiting until he passes his test but will never buy another KTM. I like the look of the Superduke R but if it's going to spend more time in the garage than being ridden it's not for me.

5. Think you meant to say Tuono ;)

6. Thinking same at moment, it’s just do I go older 1100 or a 1200. Double up as track bike too. But a Tuono is so much more for less money!

7. I’ve owned both. The SuperDuke is the better road machine in my humble opinion, and it doesn’t randomly cut out.

8. Funny...my mate has had 2, and every now and then he gets a light on and it just cuts out. Normally a reset of ignition sorts it and he has found them totally reliable for his every day commmute

9. They are great bikes, I’ve had 4 Aprilia’s and would have another.

I could get past the odd cut out, but when it left me stranded, and after 8 hours in the workshop it was working again but my dealer didn’t have a clue what the route cause was, I decided it wasn’t a bike I wanted to own out of warranty.

Funny though, the Duke and Tuono are very different bikes. I would be tempted to have both if I had the cash.

10. tune too tall for me really, will be OK on tack but on the road I'll be kerb-hunting every stop

11. I had Nelly’s courtesy Monster 797 for a week earlier in the year and enjoyed it so much. It’s a bike you just ride, no settings, no weight, lots of grip, lots of fun,enough power for twisty B roads. I love my Multi but it’s not great for the occasional summer commute into work. It’s big, it’s heavy and it’s wide. A small Monster would be quicker when filtering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I know this is an oldish thread but to go back to the original post, the Monster 1200 R is continuing for 2019 unchanged (I work at a Ducati dealership). Only now available in red

When the new Monster 1200 S came out Duati said that they wouldn't fit the quickshifter to the R version as the engine is too powerfull for the gearbox to cope with a quickshifter. I dont exactly believe that as the 1198 had a quickshifter (and more power) with the same gearbox but thats the offical line.

I could ride any Ducati in the range and I own a Monster R.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The R isn't that much more powerful than the S though. I thought there was only 10 bhp in it.

14. The discontinued black one is much faster Bryan...

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information