1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moderation On Ducati Forum - Feedback

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rob, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oi, leave my Grandpa alone! :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. AirCon,,,My Avatar is from a album cover from a famous 1970`s rock group called Roxy Music,moreover this was and is in the public domain for all to see,cheers

#42 XH558, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Okay I’ll play...

Many users of this forum are more than happy with the moderation and way the forum is run, so in that case it’s not brown nosing at all is it?

Also this is an Internet forum not a career, I’m struggling to see what people may gain from ‘brown nosing’

I’ve moderated on other forums, it’s not always an easy task to be fair, I and clearly many think the guys are doing a good job :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Okay I’ll play...

Many users of this forum are more than happy with the moderation and way the forum is run, so in that case it’s not brown nosing at all is it?

Also this is an Internet forum not a career, I’m struggling to see what people may gain from ‘brown nosing’

I’ve moderated on other forums, it’s not always an easy task to be fair, I and clearly many think the guys are doing a good job.. can we not just leave it at that and or make constructive comments for improvements to what is essentially a community ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. if someone has done a good job,,,say so! "these little words go a long way"

#45 XH558, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Are you saying he is human :eek:

7. The moderation here is very good. However moderation begins at home. Grown men and women should not need to be moderated. Read before you post.

I tend to use this site only to buy/sell stuff and read peoples fix/broken/builds. Discussion just gets fractious. I avoid it now.

Unless you are a gifted writer, sometimes you may be misconstrued. There are one or two erudite fellows on here. The rest of us are not. Punctuation and grammar helps.

Overall, it is still the best Ducati Forum and theres many a good poster and decent peeps on it. My only gripe is that I'd ban all political and current affairs chat as people talk shit as if its gospel. But the forum reflects the beliefs and attitudes of the people. Currently the people are reflecting intolerance. Thats my objective view. Personally, sometimes I wonder if I am reading The Mail Online instead of a Ducati forum. Thus this snowflake remains in the background.

However the build threads, advise and bike chat are all first class. Even Exiges current fascination with the eyeballs emoji. The lounge though, should be sunk into the fetid pit from whence it came. Along with one or two regulars.

Anyway back to lurking, its still a good forum.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Love You Love You x 2
  8. :eyes:

9. :eyes::eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 20170815_sulicon.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. On the subject of moderation ...

I am reluctant to cast criticism upon an individual, or team, who is prepared to carry out duties I myself would be unable or unwilling to do.
    I will however say that whilst the overall moderation on our Forum is good and broadly on a par with other forums I have been involved in, there is too often a patchiness and a less than even-handed approach on Ducati Forum. It is not so bad that I feel I want to leave and it is certainly much fairer than some other forums I have seen but I have first- and second-hand experience of what I would call less than optimal moderation. It's easy to be a critic but it's too easy to say nothing and that isn't always helpful. Besides - there's this thread.

I have my own opinions on what form moderation should take. Mostly, I will say that egotism has no place in moderating a forum. The rules must be enforced but Ducati Forum is no one's fiefdom (except maybe Rob's, maybe) so the rules must be applied equitably across the board.
    Part of the reason I wouldn't wish to be a moderator here is that I have too much fun as an ordinary member. This means that I am capable of getting caught up in the moment, capable of certain kinds of reactions to posts. This is my privilege, as an ordinary member and within the Forum's rules. Moderators on the other hand need to defuse situations, not contribute to them getting out-of-hand and therefore their behaviour must differ from that of ordinary contributors. I have been on forums where the overall moderation is good but the presence of one or more mods with too large a desire for fun and too big an ego has detracted from the general forum experience. Bad Mods want to dish out the banter but then over-react when it comes back to them. This shouldn't be happening.

To any future moderators of the forum, i would warn you that performing your role here will in some ways curtail the fun you can have, assuming you are doing your job. IMO, of course. It is the main reason I would not offer myself up as a volunteer moderator (the fact i would be turned down flat doesn't enter into it).

TL;DR version:

We need more moderators, it's too much for one guy with a job and a normal range of real-world concerns. Mods have to react quickly to situations but they need the time to size them up correctly. Too many mistakes are made when there isn't time to consider decisions carefully enough.
    Mods need to be seen to act fairly.

Finally, fare well all! I hope to come back with a new screen name and a suitably disguised IP address, when the heat dies down.
    : o ) (where are all the decent smileys???)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. A: The moderating of hurtful comments and consistent reminders of certain angle grinding miscalculations is totally inadequate.

B: Today I learnt what the "Lock Thread" does.

C: Can we have a "your not funny, you may be trying to be funny but you come across as a proper arsehole" emoji?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nicely put, but don't mention the smilies :mad: (that's angry btw not sun burnt)

14. Read all this back to yourself. Then book some self awareness training... There's a good lad.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. You should retain your patronising speech to someone who values your opinion.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. A - stupidity cannot be moderated for the good of the collective. And you won't do it again (hopefully) so a win win
    B - are you sure :eyes:
    C - could we use the letters CR?

In fact for C we have one, the little tool symbol can be used as 'helpful' but really means tool :)

• Useful Useful x 3
  17. It's fun here, hope it doesn't get locked :worried:

18. It says 'Useful' Tool!

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. : unamused::broken_heart: :rolleyes:

• Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Ben Nevis is a lil further south and west. yer avatar needs sorted. moderators, sort it oot brw.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information