1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modified Ss Aluminium Swingarm

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Aug 10, 2017.

1. In response to a wanted thread I started on this site earlier in the year for an Aluminium SS Swingarm, I was offered this one at a good price from another member who'd welded in some webs as can be seen.

P1030001.JPG

P1030002.JPG

I decided I could work with it, so cleaned up the welds, made a bit more room for the chain, cut a hole in the bigger web and beveled the edges over.

I then had it Vapour blasted locally to see what it looked like, and am actually quite happy with the look.

P8100002.JPG

P8100003.JPG

It's going to need a bit more tidying up of the welds before I'm happy, and I'll then have it Vapour blasted again before giving it a coat of lacquer or a very light gold paint.

I'm building the bike up as I go at the moment, and will rip it all apart again for paint and a better finish.

P8100007.JPG

P8100013.JPG

The project has moved along a bit these last couple of weeks whilst I've had my two weeks leave from work and the weather sometimes stopped me doing the gardening Mrs Nasher was expecting.

P8100005.JPG

Nasher

• Like Like x 4
  2. That swing arm looks excellent, well done to both you and the previous owner but, please, save the gold spray for anything else but the swing arm.

Unless you're going for the Mr T look.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gold paint!!!!!! Please no....

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Not sure I like the webs even though you have done a good job cleaning them up.

They aren't really necessary as it seems the swingarm you have got there is the later stronger one with the deeper hoop brace.

Besides, they are not really known for breaking at those points - where they do usually crack is at the pivot clamps.

#4 Ghost Rider, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks guys.

I completely agree the webs are not actually required for any structural reason, but I simply couldn't resist the swingarm because they'd already been added.

When I say Gold paint, I'm thinking more of a very, very, light gold, but have yet to have a play in Photoshop to see what it looks like. I originally intended to go light Grey, but having put Grey ST2 wheels in it, which were another bargain, immaculate, and compliment the Grey Powdercoat I had put on the frame, I'm in danger of having too much grey.

Nasher.

#5 Nasher, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  6. The only thing I would do to that swingarm is mirror polish it but paint those webs black - they spoil the look whether gold or polished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The thought of polishing anything makes me shudder.

I might just put a coat of clear over the vapour blast finish when it's redone, as it looks quite good at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Regards the webs I think they're a great idea for that swing arm as the original was a total POS IMO. The wider spar cross-section 1000SS arms are much better but not as good as yours IMO.

FWIW I've had loads of these original ally arms break and they always felt like crap too even when they were fairly new.

All that bracing must help when the bike is really stressed at full lean at a high pace.

9. Sorry but it doesn't matter how many verys you use, the answer is still NO! :noentry:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. There were two versions of the ally swingarm for the carbed SS - one with a 35mm deep brace and the later stronger one is 50mm.....the OP appears to have the later one.

The thinner one was suspect, but the one on my SS seemed AOK despite hard suspension set-up; my riding and the roads around here.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thanks for that as it's news to me! Still have some of the old ones left and will measure them at the weekend to see what's what. Great info, cheers :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information