1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modified Superlight Mkv Recommisioning

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Maxypriest, May 19, 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  1. great work on reviving this. Good to see another one back on the road....

Just got mine sorted after a looooong layoff and i'm now remembering just how great these bikes are!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ha - it is a slippery slope - i'll make a vid soon to illustrate that exact point. Originally I did intend just to pop a pair of hi comp JE's in her, then it went all silly...

(Steeper steering angle courtesy of a custom Nitron Shock - 12mm longer from memory...)

3. Id for gotten about this great mod I did about 10 years ago.
    The mirrors and nose fairing are mounted to the frame by these single stalks sprouting out of the front subframe, they wobble and mine had a crack in the weld one side, so while I re welded the original weld I added an extra tube for stiffness.

Works beautifully and the mirrors are really firmly mounted.

Note the relocated fuse box - she has clip ons that fouled the old position.

LH mirror stay.JPG RH mirror stay.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Talking of improving brackets - one of the few things I really disliked was the bottom well nut tab things that hold the bottom of the fairings together. The fairing can get itself slightly out of line, what I really wanted was to make a single alloy bracket - which I made this morning.

(maybe... thinking about in now - I should have made provision for 2 more well nuts making 6 in total?? nahhh, its done and its lovely and firm)

Well chuffed
    fairing joiner bottom.JPG Fairing joiner top.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  5. The clutch plates and basket are both 90% worn, I was looking at my options and came across this alloy kit from eBay £170 delivered. I'll give it a try - the quality looks great, the plates fit well - I'll report back on the fitment and ride.

… once a new battery arrives... Doh!

IMG_1354.JPG

6. The tank hinge pin always gets grubby/rusty, so I put it in my DIY Nickle plating plant (glass jar + mobile phone charger) for a layer of rust resistant Nickle.
    Grubby tank pin.JPG Nicle plating tank pin.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Looks interesting - can you show us the "after" results?
    So just a glass jar, and mobile phone charger?
    What is the exact process, and how long do you leave it submerged?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry for not replying sooner CK - The attached vid covers what to do for a basic kit very nicely.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 15min vid of the bike - hope you enjoy!

• Like Like x 6
  10. Much easier to do..or the ss ie shock is 10mm...easily available!

11. Hi Max, really enjoyed the video. Lot's of food for thought there. The mirror brace looks excellent, something Ducati should have included in the original design. When you painted your wheels, was that with rattle can or 2-pack paint? Have you got any close up pics of the wheels, particularly interested in the polished rims.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information