1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 1100evo - Poor Idle Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by HYPERBIMDUKE, Jun 2, 2019.

1. sounds a good plan of action.
    not sure how similar yours is to earlier 1000 twin spark - my air bleeds are approx 1/2 turn open on both bikes now, idle 1000/1250 rpm and slightly higher when "cold".

2. So, if the engine cant idle with the air feed to stepper blocked i guess the stepper controls idle in all states?
    Does it close when you shut the throttle? Then open when rpm drops below 1250rpm?

3. we both need to swot up but from what I understand it's a choke/fast idle replacement so is concerned with warm-up window primarily. I'm guessing but I believe it limits air from cold and then probably allows more (so possibly fully open) when engine warmed.

post#21, #27 interesting.
    http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=73453.15

4. If you are blocking off the stepper it might be a better idea to use the air bleeds to achieve a good idle rather than move the throttle stops. This should be done with a hot engine and although idling at cold may be poor it will have no effect on the TPS.

5. Good find, not seen that before.

6. I see where your coming from with regard to using air bleeds to achieve idle, however the air bleeds have a massive effect on part throttle running, 1/2 turn makes the difference between a n enjoyable bike to ride slow speed or an absolute pig in my experience with my hyper.

7. Have you got the standard fuel map or has yours been altered H?

8. It had a Rexxar map soon after we got it as it ran shite with the DP map, this seemed to be when the idle issue all started, though it was bearable. The recent issue is after the stepper went awol i got a used replacement. Intersting that i read far more of this issue affect monster evos than hyper evos. Or are therejust more monsters?...

9. I doubt if it’s that simple, but from reading through a few threads yesterday, the hanging issue almost seems to go hand-in-hand with modded fuel maps. Have you got equipment/software that can alter values like the chap did in that last link?

10. I had ducatidiag & a key but couldnt connect. My windows version was too old.

11. Update on the fast idle issue, have done the following:

• taken good stepper off hypermotard & fitted to monster, problem still there, maybe worse
    • fitted monster stepper to hypermotard, runs perfect, so both steppers are good
    • fitted a long hose to the stepper intake to help me regulate air flow, check for leaks (none) & understand better.
    • Blocked intake to stepper, started bike (requires throttle to hold idle, runs fine but no idle)
    • Set throttle stop to give 1250 idle
    • Took bike for a run, behaved better than ever, though the TPS will be out slightly. Colder temp starting may be an issue so don't want to leave it in this fudged state permanently.
    • Points to note: TPS has been swapped, new air temp sensor.
    Based on this it must be the control of the stepper, not the unit itself that is wrong, as the air bleed screws are all the way in (richest) it may be the Rexxar map is too weak low down/closed throttle as I have read on other forums, richening up often cures this high idle problem.

Question is, do I spend £450 on a custom mapping job hoping it's going to solve the issue?

#31 HYPERBIMDUKE, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Update.
    Last part i hadnt swapped was the pressure sensor, put the monster one on the hyper, runs fine, need to check monster with swapped sensor to totally eliminate this. Next will be loom & connection check... will not be beaten...

• Like Like x 4
  13. Eureka update...

Decided fueling was too weak at closed throttle, only way to control this was to restrict air to the IACV (stepper),so I put a valve into the stepper air feed, adjustable & with probably a 60% restriction, set throttle stop back to factory setting, so as not to screw up TPS.
    Started fine from cold, warmed up engine occasionally blipping the throttle, revs no longer hang at all.
    Will test ride later.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Test ride completed, 100mile. No more revs haging.
    Was not happy though having a restriction in stepper feed so removed it. Revs hanging again, so seeing as i had already tampered with the throttle body shaft i decided to close the stop a bit, found a sweet spot where it idles at 1300 with a tiny hang that i can live with. So all ok now & behaves hot or cold with no issues.
    Moral is, do tamper with the anti tamper screw, might sort hanging revs...
    Would a dealer have found this? & how long would it have taken-cost. Probably but who knows...
    Still going to BSD for a custom map on 24th.
    Will give update after that.

#34 HYPERBIMDUKE, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Sitting at BSD, bike on the dyno for remap. Will report after ride home laterr...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Greatly improved, the guys did a great job, & gals supplying me cuppas, lots of traffic, was able to filter in 2nd down to 13mph without touching the clutch (I have a hand disability so the less clutch the better) pickup was clean & at no point thought a stall was imminent. Better under power too, hitting the rev limiter sooner than expected. Graphs up tomorrow. 92.93 rwhp & 72.1nm @ 34.7 degrees, though achademic. Probably more if cooler.
    Conclusion, forget Rexxar map, always go for a full custom mapping, well worth the extra.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information