1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R Monster 1200 R Extended Hugger? Or Anything To Keep Your Back Less Splashed

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Dr.D, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Hi chaps,
    I am a lucky new owner of a 1200R which will be my day to day steed. It is absolutely awesome and probably the easiest handliing bikes, with an engine that is like a catapult between bends. I love it. Had some new Metzeler M9RR fitted at the same time and cannot sing their praises enough ( don't have the squishy feeling like the M7RR and never once aren't planted ). Anyway, all the praises end with the state of my jacket! The back of it specifically! So does anyone do a rear hugger extender or anything to stop the spray in the wet?
    Whilst I am on here, its got bar end mirrors, I am happy to swap anyone standard bar ends and mirrors for them if they want?
    I know this isn't the usual bike for a "commuter" 60 miles a day, but I work too hard to not enjoy my every day ride just need to make it a bit cleaner lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pyramid do one for the 821, so will probably work. I’ve not got one, but was researching a few weeks ago.

I think Ilmberger do a longer carbon hugger, but much more expensive than the Pyramid.

3. I have a pyramid fitted to my M1200, it helps but is not 100%.
    You will need to remove the hugger if you want to fit it securely.
    Don’t risk drilling through the hugger into the tyre.
    I used 3 x m5 stainless button head screws with nylon nuts and washers, with a thin coat of silicone sealant.
    As much as they claim that the sticky pads work I do not trust them.
    If you want me to send a picture let me know.

4. Just well done on taking it out in the wet. Too many don't.

5. Hi Dr.D,
    I am in a similar position. I've just bought a 1200S which will have to be used for necessary journeys as well as for weekend blasts. Not been out on it yet, but needed to clean it after being ridden on salted roads to get here and it's a real mission. To make keeping it, and me, clean I have bought a carbon fender extender from ebay, a Givi screen, a radiator protector and I'm looking for an extended hugger to keep road spray at bay. Also, I'm keen on keeping the original mirrors, so looking into mirror extenders to actually see what's happening behind me and not my elbows...

6. Hi hypermotbloke,
    Is it much of a faff to get the hugger off to do this? I'm looking at the same extender and would look to fix it on securely.
    A picture would be useful.
    Thanks

7. No just a few Allen screws, take the hugger off and give a good clean.
    I use isopropanol alcohol to get the mating surfaces grease free.
    Offer up the extender and drill 1 in hole in the centre, put a screw in to secure the extender.
    Then drill the other 2 holes, place a screw in the second hole to keep it all aligned.
    A light coat of silicon seal between the mating faces refit all screws and tighten up.
    Cut off any thread extending through the nuts. Replace the hugger put a dab of loctite on the screws.

9047C2E5-46A5-4922-9793-00EDF039572C.jpeg

8. Rear splash guards from the 2014~16 Monsters are often seen for sale on Ebay.
    They should fit the screw holes on the M1200R's swingarm.

9. That's great, thanks for the pic and guidelines. A carbon fender extender arrive today that I will attach to the front this weekend. My last bike, an Aprilia Shiver, came with a full complement of R and G protectors, plus a hugger and fender extender. I now realise the time and money involved in making a bike more practical for daily use!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information