1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 695 - Rich One Cylinder, Smoke Exhaust And Very Hot!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Plasticmorph, Mar 17, 2020.

1. I'd be supprise if there wasn't some sort of valve damage. You may have been lucky but it doesn't sound good.

2. If the sooty plug is on the same cylinder as the one the timing was out, a bent valve wouldn't seat properly resulting in low compresion which in turn wouldn't burn the fuel as efficiently as normal. Just a possibility.

3. It could be several things (as usual) and most have been covered. Trusting your compression figures (leakage test or "compression gauge on a stick?) are ok, it could be right to follow your hunch on fuelling* in which case I would swap injectors over. Although a short video, I agree with Paul that, on the face of it, things don't look too bad and if you have ridden for two tankfulls then I would continue riding but study your oil level like a hawk and compare against mileage. The only other thing I will add, which may or may not help your though process, is that the in-bore camera shot of the rogue cylinder does seem to show bore washing, as the edges of the piston would normally have a carbon deposit also*. The same picture isn't clear enough for me to comment on valve touching, have you had that head off yet? (can't remember from your posts/threads).

#23 Chris, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. to me theres is only so much that can go or be wrong... re assess start again!

re check /set the cam timing correctly, prove to yourself it all lines up accordingly.

what compression test figures do you have or get this time are they equal ... eliminate the bent unseated valve issue?

what happens if you run it without the fuel cap on.. to eliminate the lack of venting potential problem?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thanks, and thanks to all for the continued help.
    Bore washing isn’t a term I’ve heard before but I’ve done some googling and understand that it could be another sign of over fuelling. Thanks.

I haven’t had the head off yet as the exhaust studs are thoroughly corroded and for reasons I won’t bore you with, that’s a job I’d rather have done by a garage (past bad experience on another 695)

So I think at this stage I’m going to have to hand over to the professionals and get it looked at. I’ll report back on the outcome as it might be useful for someone in the future.
    Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you have changed the injector rails, don't be afraid to swap injectors is all i would add, good luck and thanks for reply.

7. Thanks Chris, I’ll give that a go although I have some nervousness because I’ve had issues trying to get injectors off a 695 TB before. On my partner’s I ended up mashing one of her injectors with maul grips because they were so stuck in by (presumably) a swollen o ring. The rotated but wouldn’t come out!

#27 Plasticmorph, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. So, unfortunately (mostly for the team there) my Ducati garage has had to shut for the time being but they’re very kindly returning the bike to me first. I’ve ordered a used cylinder head from the bay and remain hopeful that shipping companies will continue to do their thing. Also ordered o rings, dowell, collets and valve seals as well as the cylinder head nut torquing tools. If the world keeps spinning and they get here, I’ll be replacing the cylinder head. The service manual, Haynes book and YouTube make it look relatively easy but I’m sure to benefit from some tips if anyone has any. The main thing that worries me is exhaust studs so I may resort to cutting them off at the flange time save the risk of snapping them off in the head.

One thing the manuals seem silent on is where to position the piston for the job. Maybe it doesn’t matter but I’d like to have it a TDC so that I can clean the face up and inspect it for any damage from the valve contact. if there is any dinting, which I imagine will be very light due to the limited overlap, can I just sand it down a bit? I imagine that may reduce compression ratios on a minute scale but that will presumably be better than hot spots.

If I do that, am I at risk of piston rings popping out or does it not travel that far. I’m assuming the latter??

9. Interested why you've ordered a secondhand head before removing the original one for inspection.
    The rings won't pop out of the barrel.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. That’s a fair point. Two reasons, preliminary feedback from the dealer was that they thought a valve had hit the piston and whilst replacing a head looks fairly straightforward, rebuilding the internals doesn’t! (Not for me anyway) also, the opportunity presented itself for a relatively cheap pair of heads with only 2000mi on them so I jumped at the opportunity. We’ve got two 695s so it’s reasonably foreseeable that sooner or later the heads or the bits inside them could come in handy! Especially as the other one has covered 17000 miles without ever having its valve clearances checked!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. you are right, there is a knack which is not "black and white" so leave alone if in doubt, two things that help are:- rubber grease (usually red) and warmth basically. Worse scenario is injectors that have never been removed and you are removing in the depth of winter, it's all about patience and perseverance and finding a way to get a clean, upward pull on the injector without damaging anything as you discovered. You can try carefully revolving it and rocking it slightly, again carefully, to try and break the retaining ""O" ring"'s hold on it (the injector).

12. Dudes and dudettes, I need some interim assistance from anyone with experience of removing the cylinder heads on a 2v.

I’m prepping to take them off and I’ve tried to slacken off the 12pt cylinder head nuts. I’m waiting for my C shaped wrench adapter to arrive and had a go with a 14mm spanner. Not a very long one so not much torque applied. I’ve already hit them with penetrant yesterday to ease the job.

Here’s the problem, the nuts rotate about 1 or 2 degrees before feeling stuck again, almost like they’re sprung and want to go back to their original place. If I look very carefully I can see the the nut rotates on its washer so isn’t seized there but on close inspection I can see the top of the stud rotating within the nut, as in moving relative to the head but not moving relative to the nut. It seemed prudent to stop and seek advice because my concern is that the stud is stuck at both ends and I’m twisting it and risking a snap mid way, or it’ll snap in the crank case or it’ll unscrew out the case. The latter isn’t the end of the world but I’d prefer to avoid removing the barrel if possible.

Has anyone experienced this? As I said, I’m not applying much torque due to spanner length but I could just go for it and find that with some more torque it will just come free or I could end up having a really bad day.

Incidentally, this is all for nuts/studs behaving the same way. Are they reverse threaded at the crank case end by any chance?

13. you are getting wind up of the studs, as you have quite rightly said, and when they finally start to move it's often with quite an initial "crack!" so don't worry when it happens. There is a small chance that the whole stud will unscrew or worse still, a stud fracture but it's unusual. Did you attempt this with engine hot? (best time to try it). Can you find a way to get a greater rotation of your spanner?
    You could try running engine and then saturating nuts/studs with penetrating fluid, allowing to cool down and then repeating before attempting to rotate nuts when good and hot.

All studs/nuts are conventional R/H thread.

#33 Chris, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Thanks Chris. I was just reading the service manual and noticed that the stud into case torque is much lower than the nut onto stud torque which makes me think unwinding the studs out the case is actually quite likely! I’m hoping if that happens I’ll be able to extract them without the barrel gasket being compromised.

Unfortunately, running the engine isn’t much of an option any more but I can blowtorch the nuts?? I guess shocking them with a hammer is a bad plan!

so I’ve ordered some extra long 12 pt spanner’s which may arrive over the weekend so I can have a go with those. That will give the penetrating oil a couple more days to soften up any rust.

15. Clip the ring end of another spanner into the open end of the spanner on the nut for extra leverage. If that makes sence.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  16. If you feel confident with a blowtorch then could work well but you can't research this enough if you're not sure how long to play the flame/how hot to get it. Ideally needs to be one of these compact "pencil" torches with high intensity flame but in a small cone/area as there is a risk of overheating surrounding fins/paintwork. You know when you've got them hot enough because the penetrating spray will smoke when you apply it, it's important to only apply this afterwards or with the flame away from the area as the aerosol propellant in particular is very flammable.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Thanks again to all of you for your continued support!
    Head is off. With the proper tool and a long bar, the nuts came off the studs with relative ease. Getting the head off the bike was a whole other story! That thing did not want to budge. Off now.

here’s some pics. Very apparent that the piston and intake valve got intimate. I’ve cleaned the piston face with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush. The deposits came off easily but at only 1100 miles, not surprising I guess.

Here’s the thing, I’ve popped el-valvo out and gently clamped it in a drill and hit go, and it seemed to spin fairly cleanly. Whilst it was in the head, it didn’t seem to bind anywhere as I rotated it however I did note that as I rotated the pulley and each valve went in and out, they both twisted ever so slightly as they travelled. Maybe that’s normal? The pic here is looking in the exhaust port and there’s clearly some sticky goop in there. Not wet, sticky. Should I be investigating the exhaust side then despite the contact clearly being on the intake side.

Finally, the piston clearly has some marks from the valve and if I run my finger over them there is a ripple, but no obvious cracks or major gouges. I’m guessing therefore that replacing the piston would be a bit excessive. What should I do about this? I’ve heard that some emery cloth could be used but I wonder give the small amount of damage if it’s worth doing? Introducing scratches etc...

ta

FD8F8F18-1F80-4472-BBEF-B388D6CA41F8.jpeg

EC612EA4-D23E-40D3-931B-96C2E99202D9.jpeg

D7BB71F3-073C-44C9-A99E-F53BCA2A6B14.jpeg

4DD7E9B1-D89D-40B4-A53F-56A41279EBC2.jpeg

18. Roll the valve stem along a flat surface with the head hanging over the edge. You will soon see if it bent.

19. Put some grinding paste on the valve and try lapping it in, you should see any shiny and dull spots on the valve seat, should show whether it's seating correctly.

20. as above, worth studying the shaft of the valve to see if worn unusually as could have damaged or cracked the valve guide. Looking at contact you will be lucky if valve not bent as a result. Could we have a pic of valve seat(s) in cylinder head also please?

valve rotating during cam actuation is fine, it's even a good thing provided rotation is slow.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information