1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 695 - Rich One Cylinder, Smoke Exhaust And Very Hot!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Plasticmorph, Mar 17, 2020.

1. thanks, am I looking for the stem to not be flush with the flat surface when doing so or looking for the valve end to wobble?

2. Thanks for the reply, I put it all back together while the coming apart process was fresh in my mind. I’ll pop it apart later and send a pic.

I’m assuming even a very slight imperfection here would be bad news but would that be sufficient to cause smoke from the exhaust or oil in the chamber?

Final thought, is it at all likely on a 1100 mile bike that the piston rings have failed?

3. can't rule out your last point but far more likely to be an inefficient valve stem seal/cracked valve guide due to valve touch on piston. If this was down to valve not sealing well you would see more carbon but the build up and black stain trailing visible from the end of the valve guide in your "through the port" picture is pretty conclusive.

#43 Chris, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. comforting to hear!

ok so I’ll pop the valve out later and see what I can find. I’ve got new seals so I’m debating replacing them and refitting everything vs waiting for the new head and just fitting that in its entirety.

Despite this bike repeatedly slapping me in the face, I’m learning tonnes!! Silver linings.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes, this is how I was able to get the sensor out of my daughter’s Fiesta’s exhaust.
    With repeated cycles and a lot of force, it eventually “cracked”.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Keep the stem flush with the surface, if the valve is bent the head will wobble. Keep the shiny part of the stem (that runs in the guide) on the flat surface.

7. Balls. I’m guessing this is the cylinder coating knackered. New barrels needed I guess??

9FD34C4C-EEF8-436E-84E4-B762F435FD21.jpeg

8. Well that's one of your problems anyway. That'll account for the burning oil, still the possible bent valve to sort.

9. Presumably that little lip could be causing accelerated wear on the rings and allowing blowby??

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Totally fooked I'm afraid. You could send it to Langcourts and see if they can replate it. Good chance they can salvage it but won't be cheap. Think I'd be looking for a new barrel and piston/rings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. There is a company that might be able to re coat the barrel, @Chris should know, Langcort or something similar.

12. Damn, you are close Steve - I can't remember it, will search - @Pete1950 quoted it recently

Found it:-

http://www.langcourt.com/index.htm

at Weston Super mare 01934 612226 - if they're still operating.

sorry Hugh ^ overlapped with your post.

#52 Chris, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'm intrigued as to how that could have happened on an 1100 mile engine, even if it is a good few years old (2007?).

I too am learning from this thread, these types of threads are always useful I find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. That exhaust port photo makes it hard to believe your engine's only done 1100 miles! I guess that now you've shown the bore-plating damage that'd be a good reason so much oil gunk is in the exhaust. Shit barrel - a wrong-un since manufacture, or some other reason...?

15. ahh.. as said by others, that changes everything sadly, but don't be put off as you could get all the bits good/second hand with patience and although prices may have changed, hopefully not too expensive.

16. a good chance it's adhesion from corrosion/damp and moisture due to standing time. Is that on horizontal barrel on lower face by chance?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. It is, is that the most likely place for the problem you’ve described? Why would that be as I would have expected more oil in that area to protect it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information