1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster - Big Traillie Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by The Other PaulG, Jun 16, 2015.

1. So..... there has been quite a bit more progress.

As a re-cap, this bike was together, then we took it apart and modified bits.

Then we put it back together to see whether it would work.

We took it apart again and painted/finished bits.

And now, for the last time, I hope, we're putting it back together again.

This started as a really simple question - "what would a Monster look like with long forks"?

A couple of months down the line and we have built what is, to all intents, a brand new bike.

With a lot of custom bikes, the closer you look the more 'issues' you see. With Chris T's bikes, the closer you look, the better it gets.

Here are some more shots taken today:

photo w1.jpg

photo w5.jpg

photo w11.jpg

photo w12.jpg

photo w15.jpg

Clipboardw01.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lovely job :upyeah:
    What silver did you use to paint the engine?

3. It's a special brew that Chris my painter/technician in Kent uses, to give that lovely metallic depth to an authentic Ducati colour - plus of course all the resilience needed for an engine paint.

You can bend his ear here - Electrical Motorcycle Accessories | CT Motorcycle Services in Kent

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cheers, will do!

5. Now we're talking :) Nice work.

6. Just saw the bike but missed the owner at Boxhill, parked close to my Elefant

7. Aha!

Yes, I saw the Ele and parked adjacent so I could play 'spot the common parts'.

She's all finished now, barring a couple of adjustments I'd like to make, and riding really well.

with ele.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here are a couple more photos -

photo 11.JPG

photo 63.JPG

photo w65.jpg

photo w74.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. A happy owner - the colour co-ordinated shirt was purely coincidental... ;-)

Plus, Chris who did the painting, taking her for a last rip around the yard.

photo 1.JPG

10. photo 3.JPG

photo 3.JPG

11. Nice effort, it must feel good to assemble a bike using your own ideas. A couple of thoughts on your bike:- do you find that the bike rises up considerably when you accelerate hard? You probably know the Elefant has an excellent drive train setup in that it has a roller for both the top and bottom runs. I imagine that you have the standard monster rubbing strips/guides but be prepared for the chain eating the top guide at a faster rate than standard. Hopefully we will get to meet next time.

12. Hi Chris -

No, it does not rise up on acceleration but it's hard to pass final judgement right now because the rear suspension is a bit too firm at present. I think I probably need a longer, softer shock. Once that's fitted, it may well ride up, we'll have to see.

Thanks for your thoughts on the chain guides - I agree, I anticipate the top guide, particularly, being a service item. I'll check the existing one shortly to see how it has worn.

I will no doubt re-visit Box Hill so yes, I'll look out for that Elefant - in fact both of these bikes are quite distinctive so meeting up shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers!

Paul

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ^ Good thinking, had forgotten about that

14. Yeah, I did think about that for a while but this isn't a show bike, it's my daily bike and so has already seen quite a bit of rain and spray - I can't see myself spending the hours needed to polish it up to show standard so I'll think I'll skip that.

Good idea, though!

P

Do Not Sell My Personal Information