1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Monster

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Mattt, Apr 24, 2020.

1. That is better condition that I thought it would be, I was hoping for a more Sea Anchor look, I'm doing a rd250lc oily rag Resto which the Mrs has claimed. Was looking for something else to play with, ideally a lc frame with log book or rolling chassis.

The price you're asking is bang on IMO dealers are wanting around that money straight out the container and requiring refreshing.
    I went the with the Halfords discount card and have got my money back and some well worth the subs IME. There is a lot of discount to be had.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I bought it off a dealer as a running bike ,I was going to keep it but have since bought a RG250VJ21 that I'm rebuilding at the moment
    Stripped and had the frame blasted and painted ,all original parts just cleaned and put back on ,painted the tank and side panels with custom tank graphics,wheels powder coated white ,rest of the paint and seat are all original.
    I will probably have to wait and hang onto it ,I was hoping to get £3995 once the lockdown is over ,but not sure if anyone is going to be buying much once this is all over
    The money would go a long way to paying for the Monster ,plus the px on the ER6N as well

3. Sr2 1000 yes I've added them to the shortlist ,although they were a short run model so not so many to choose from
    The one I like the best looks wise is a 1100S with the gold wheels and forks, of course I will need to sit on them and try to get a test ride ,as I may prefer a later model once I've ridden both

• Like Like x 1

4. I have an S2R1000, as you say not so many around to try. Once travel is easier you are welcome to have a look at mine and subject to insurance, have a ride on it. I previously owned an 1100 for 3 years, standard not S. The S2R suits me better but I`m sure you can find an 1100 to test quite easily. Both great bikes to own.

5. I was looking at an 1100 but the small tank made me rethink and I bought the 1200. But the 1100 is certainly the most beautiful IMO

6. Thank you that's a very generous offer

7. I need to look into the tanks, some are fibreglass I've been reading ,had real hassle with a Norton Commando fibre tank ,blistering and causing carb problems.Ended up buying a steel tank and painting it

8. I was on my S4r when I was knocked off. Enjoyed it and went all over Europe on it a couple of times. However, the tank capacity, combined with its thirst, made it a pain as you were always thinking about where the next petrol stop was. I've no intention of getting another Monster.... but horses for courses, and I'm much happier with touring bikes with big tanks!

9. My 1100S has a plastic tank (I’m not sure any of them are glass fibre) and I’ve had no problems with it and it’s 11 years old now. No swelling at all. It’s the Ethanol in the petrol that causes it in some, but not all bikes. I’m guessing there’s plastic and there plastic and not all bikes from all years have the same plastic tanks, all I can say is mine’s fine so I see no reason why the problem would arise in any other 1100S as they would all be using the same tank from the same manufacturer (Ascerbis).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Re tank size: the 1100S holds 17litres, when out on a run and when touring on it last year I find the light comes on after 240km (150 miles) by which time, around 3 hrs or so, I want to stop anyway. Even then I can only get 12 litres into it. I guess if you’re munching miles on a French Autoroute you may need a bigger tank but Ive never found it an issue to date.

11. I think that my tank was 17 litres and I used to get 15 litres in after about 125 miles. So that is about 38mpg.

12. you should try a 1200R, consumption is ugly when you’re in a hurry.... low 30’s/high 20’s to the gallon...

13. That must be quite a restrictive range.

14. the worst I’ve had is about 90-95 miles but that was a very “brisk” effort and not what I would say is normal. I’m usually ready to get off and stretch my legs after about 100 miles so no real issues

15. It's wrong but that is what makes Ducati so Italian. It has too look cool - even if it is useless!

• Like Like x 1
  16. I have just under 4 gallons for my 1200S. I average close to 40mpg even when a little spririted (so far) and that puts me at 120 miles till the light comes on. and maybe a gallon left to get fuel.
    Thats great for me. Where and how I ride a break after a couple/few hours is right. I can fill up, get a water/snack... then head another 120+ and get a real stop in for lunch.
    I figure a good average is 2.5hrs for a tank of gas.

If I owned/rode something that was MADE for touring I would want 5+ gallons. And then you would do more open roads I guess. But you really only need one of those mega 1200GS tanks if you are going off road to make sure you get to the next gas station.
    I dont do ANYTHING in life where my balls dont need an adjustment in under 2.5hrs so... perfect.

Rex

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  17. I used to di this route quite a lot, It's about 192 miles.
    upload_2020-4-30_22-24-25.png
    With an ST2 or ST3 you can do it wothout stoppping for petrol. No chanance on a Monster!

18. No, But then again... you dont get to ride a Monster. :p

I looked up the ST3. Nice ride. and has over 5 gallons as any type of tourer should.

Rex

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Well
    Sold the RZ ,1st person who rang drove over and bought it within 20 minutes
    Sold the Er6n on Saturday again 1st person to view bought it.
    I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket ,but I thought I better get the 916 out ,that I built and have owned for several years and it's been a ornament ,never had a battery or any fuel in it.
    I've never rode one before ,getting a mot shortly ,so might hold fire on the 1100S for a little while ,unless I get A good offer for a px for the 916 on a 1100s .Also due to a previous suggestion I might take a test ride on a KTM790 duke as they are discounted as the 890 is coming out .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information