1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Monster

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Mattt, Apr 24, 2020.

1. That's what I thought :D, my turn :joy:
    IMG_2937.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. I’m not an accomplished rider by any standards, I stand in at 6ft 1 and about 17.5 stone in my birthday suit (all muscle obviously ). I have a 821 (it has termis fitted so also has the upmap which equates to ~115bhp), there are only a few times where I would have liked a bit more go from it. I’d guess it tops out at about 120 mph which tbh for a road bike is more than enough, it also has lots of low end torq if you can ride fairly lazily. and it does sounds pretty good even stock. I can’t see me selling it tbh. It is a bit compact; I’ve got cramp in my hips on 3hr plus rides, the older bikes have fixed rear sets which don’t leave a lot of room if you have big feet, I’m a size 9.5 and have no problem with feeling restricted.

I’ve been given the use of 1200 and a 797 when it’s been in for the annual service. There was is a noticeable drop in oomph from the 797, so much so i was a little shocked tbh; it was also very quiet, riding it didn’t feel like an event coming off of the 821. The 1200 Engine felt smoother but the bike really didn’t feel much faster in a straight line (that might have been me being a pussy), but it turned in better on account of the lighter wheels it was equipped with, I also missed the sound of the termi’ s on the 821. The only way to know is to go and try a few, you’ll soon know if a bike is going to work for you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. yeah ,hope the shops will start to open up soon
    I did read about cramped foot space , im size 11 or 12 so i will soon know when i sit on a few
    Ive probably owned over 30 bikes from 125 s ,C90 up to GSXRs over the years ,so i kind of know how much power I can live with , im looking for something light and nimble to commute on a ouple of times a week and the occasional 3 day europe tour and weekend fun.I guess theres no such thing a do it all perfectly bike, I had 8 bikes until recently some in bits so im selling several off and buying 1 bike in place of 4.
    Never owned a Monster or Hyperstrada so I do fancy one , unless this KTM 790 is something special

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don’t rule out an M1200 either, like an 821 but Scary! :)
    B61A6595-8F25-4936-9B8D-FD7D5555424F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. go with a 1200S or R monster, the 790 KTM is a proper tool but plagued with reliability/ warranty issues from what I understand. A friend has one and it’s been back umpteen times....

I’ve also had an 821 as a loaner for a week, it’s nice and light, great town bike but it felt a little unrefined after my R.

6. I've been reading about various KTM problems ,I'm not so worried about faults more concerned with build quality of paint and fixings
    The last couple of newer bikes I've owned ,and a friend's 4 year old BMW have all been poorer quality than bikes 5 years older

7. Must say more replies than anything else all saying a get a 1200
    You can pick up a 4 or 5 year old one with minimal miles for 7k

8. This one is pretty irresistible!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283913492019

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ha
    I've just been looking at that on evil bay !

Have you had the standard
    "Best price " message ,nothing else,not even a question mark yet

10. Did you like my write up? :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Not yet, but they will!!, and then someone will ask if I’ll take a Yamaha 600 diversion in part ex, it’s bound to happen it always does :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. yes i did like the write up ,nice to see good close up photos of hard to reach areas.If I cant see close up shots of a bike I just scroll on and assume its got corrosion in the nooks and crannies

Maybe I should get on and advertise my 916 and take a trip up North !

13. Yes, get it on eBay and see what part ex’s you’re offered! :)

14. WCP - your exhaust guards are the wrong way around!

15. :astonished: Looking a yours you’re right. Thanks. They were like that when I got it (I’m the 2nd owner) so just assumed and never really thought about it. They’ll be changed tomorrow, thanks Ricky:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I used mine for a 10 day overseas trip last year, no issues at all. Mine’s also used most rides out as it’s the lightest, nimblest, and easiest to use of all my bikes.

17. If you want a monster. Buy a 1200S or R. You will not be disappointed.

Rex

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hi,thanks but it has to be red ! :)
    As a lot of the comments have said a 1200 , im kind of thinking one of those as well now,similar money but newer and a lot more to choose from

19. mid you go 1200 aim for an S, better suspension and brakes

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information