1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster S4 Not Starting

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Astrauk, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Nice :upyeah: I’ll be back inside the petrol tank once the new fuel pump arrives.

2. Jeez, that would be fiddly :astonished:

3. that sounds very difficult. Do you think there is a chance of hose clamp not seated properly or similar from when you changed the filter? it really sounds like a leak on the pressure side. Anyway you will know if it doesn't buils/hold fuel pressure

4. Indeed it is o_Oo_O

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Hi, I’ll take a look inside the tank but to the best of my knowledge the hose clips are still attached to the pipes either side of the new fuel filter. I know that if one comes off, you would see petrol spraying under pressure from the pump ( inside the tank)

6. I don't think I hose has come off completely as you wouldn't have any fuel at the injectors at all. My guess is either a hose is not sealed properly or perished. So the pump builds some pressure but it leaks away back into the tank almost immediately. You have enough fuel pressure to make it want to fire but not to make it run. The original Ducati fuel hose doesn't last too long when immersed in fuel containing ethanol. They perish from the outside in and eventually you get a leak. They last forever when not immersed. My external hoses are 25 years old and still as good as new, no signs of age. If and when you replace the internal hoses make sure you use submersible hose, the specification is SAE30R10. Standard high pressure fuel hose is R9 spec and not suitable or immersion in fuel. Even the correct spec is relatively short lived. MV Agusta have them on a 3 year service schedule.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. If you need to replace the hoses on the fuel pump, ensure you obtain and use pipe that is petrol proof.
    I had a problem on a MG Griso, where the previous owner had fitted griflex, and the petrol had softened it to the point it came off the connector.

8. Hi, just removed my fuel pump from the petrol tank and all of the hoses were attached correctly and no signs of degradation, result :upyeah: C0E96D5E-025F-476A-A827-685BE8EF22F0.jpeg
    Hi, I have got some SAE J30R6 rated fuel hose and this is suitable for leaded, unleaded, ethanol and diesel fuel, however inspection so far has shown no degradation of my current hoses inside or outside of the fuel tank :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Good news that it isn't the hoses, well good and bad as it has to be something. SAE J30 R6 is not suitable for use submerged in fuel by the way. It's the outside of this type of hose that degrades when permanently in contact with fuel.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Hi, thanks for the comments regarding the use of the fuel hose and the good news is that I didn’t need to use it internally in the tank or even externally as the standard Ducati pipeline was all fine :upyeah:
    Bad news is that the bike still won’t start it run after changing all of the previously mentioned items. The next thing to try is the CPS sensor and I am awaiting the delivery of a replacement :upyeah:
    Keep watching for further updates as to the progress of the non starting Monster S4 :grinning:

11. Quick update regarding this ongoing non starting saga. Replacement CPS sensor arrived this week and I had to remove the alternator/water pump cover to gain access to the sensor from the inside, so that I could hammer it out because it had been glued in FFS !!! Replacement alternator/water pump cover on its way too as the CPS sensor holding bolt had sheared off inside the original cover FFS !!! again. The good news is that I could remove the flywheel and check the timing marks (photo attached).
    Once the replacement alternator cover arrives I will be able to put the CPS sensor in, fit the cover and check the sensor clearance :upyeah:
    Will keep you posted as to my progress next week :upyeah::) 5FB56C29-DA7B-4C9C-A9B9-96D133FE5A62.jpeg

12. Do your mate’s call you Lucky :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. I won’t be beaten :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  14. I recently bought a 01 S4 from a salvage auction, bike was not wrecked and appeared to be a donated vehicle. Anyway, bike did not come with keys and because of the immobilizer issue, after changing ignition bike of course would not start. I sent ECU out to have IMO feature disabled, got it back and bike still would not start, it would only spark once then stop on both cylinders. I changed out the crank sensor, same, issue. So, having a few spare bikeS in my garage and lots of spare parts I decided To use my harness, ecu and gauge set off my 996. after temporary hooking everything up bike started instantly and ran perfect. So now knowing engine and fuel system was good I decided to try another approach. It seemed to me that the 01 bikes with the external immobilizer and older ECU are not worth messing with. What I did was find me a complete harness, ecu, lockset, keys and gauge cluster off a newer S4, got everything swapped and bike fired right up. I’ve since added a power commander and she is very happy with that. Not that this bike is without issues, it still gives me fits but that was my work around with my no start issue.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. this could be the most relevant post on here.. ^

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mmmm, that’s an expensive route to take o_O. I am going to try a replacement CPS sensor this weekend and I have the bike booked in with an Independent Ducati mechanic on the 20th of July, hopefully I’ll have it running by then so just need the TPS setting up, if not, at least he can run the diagnostic software :upyeah:. Stay tuned for further update this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fingers crossed on the CPS T. :upyeah:

18. New update regarding the non starting Monster S4.
    Since my last post I have sourced a replacement alternator/water pump cover and secondhand CPS sensor + shims ( thank you Peter). The replacement cover was from an earlier Ducati and had the right angled and 2 bolt fitting sensor and not the original single bolt fixing as on my bike.
    Sensor was fitted and shimmed to provide a 0.6mm air gap, brand new Champion (Ducati sourced) spark plugs fitted, usually £22 each but sourced from Laguna Motorcycles for a shade under £17 for a pair.
    Bike was then switched on but had exactly the same problem, misfiring and backfiring FFS !!!!!
    I then replaced the secondhand CPS sensor for a brand new EBay sourced Fiat item (£18) :upyeah::):) and removed a 0.2mm shim to close up the air gap.
    Yay, happy days, bike started and runs, not well, but it runs, video link below.
    So, what are my thoughts ? I believe that the original problem was CPS related and I therefore had no need to replace the fuel pump and throttle bodies. This had the potential of being a cheap fix but ended up costing more than I expected but I was not going to be beaten.
    In conclusion, It’s been an interesting and disheartening few months but I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and comments and I now have the bike booked in for Throttle Position Sensor adjustment and injector fine tuning.
    HAPPY DAYS NOW ALL BEING WELL

Photo of Fiat CPS sensor and location 8F46DBF7-EED6-4B71-87E2-90619E951B15.jpeg 853BD0FF-5CE3-47B1-BF42-17CB7C7B700D.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information