1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody Monster.....

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MichaelWinterman, May 15, 2017.

1. Hope someone out there has some ideas to point me in the right direction.... my Y2000 Monster 600 (only 4500 miles) starts easily, ticks over nicely, revs freely, but dies after going a few miles. If left for a while, it starts again, then dies again after another few miles - just loses power and stops!

Also, probably unconnected, both inspection windows in the crankcase look 'milky' after a short run. I drained and changed the oil and all,looked normal, but it keeps doing the same..

Any ideas anyone?

2. It could be so many things as usual but I would tend to check diaphragm pump for sillt and water, ditto carb float chamber bowls (fairly easy to drain but be very careful you don't overtightening tapered drain screws as it's very easy to crack bowl casing) and also main fuel filter from tank for starters. Other pissibilities include fuel tank breather blocked, easy to check by riding with Slightly propped open. Also if the vacuum hose that goes from diaphragm to inlet manifold is perforated/perished then it could produce a similar symptom.

#2 Chris, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thread moved

4. I saw the title and assumed the thread about the Mrs.

Sorry I can't help with your moody monster. Now, can you help me with mine?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Is the fuel cap vent working ?
    Try riding a few miles with fuel cap loose

Rick

6. I had the exact same thing with my monster, it ended up being a loose battery terminal,

7. The answer to your milky oil problem is to go for longer runs ! On short runs the engine and it's oil don't get up to full working temperature - and so don't drive off the condensation/moisture.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Many thanks to all who've posted replies. Thanks Chris, I'll follow up those routes and will also check battery terminal connection. As for the longer rides, wish I could! Hopefully soon.. Sorry to Kempy, not qualified to help you on that one!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information