1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Home Heating Stuff

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jul 13, 2021.

1. we used to burn the old sleepers many years ago we lived in an old crossing keepers cottage
    in the 90’s
    burnt wood emits benzene which is cancer inducing
    https://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/research/newsalert/pdf/4si4_en.pdf

my next door neighbour has a woodburner next door but two has one and an open fire opposite me
    I’m surrounded by chimney smoke

2. Man has burnt wood since man found fire. It’s indefinitely sustainable if managed properly.

Chemicals they treat things like sleepers and pallets with are the issue. Use dried wood only, not any old lump you find in a skip!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. And I think that it was 100 amp, which I presume means that I could draw 100 amps, if I felt the need and this was because of night storage heaters being able to potentially draw something like that if I had more. I've only got four but I guess that some properties here, would/might of had six. He guessed......

4. 40 yr old physics is pretty damn close
    100A @ 240v is 24kW
    400A @ 240v is 96kW

So, not that it's important, I was right. :cool:

5. Trees naturally are harmful and thats before you burn them
    Their compositions alter when burnt hence the benzene etc
    Trees aren’t as innocent as you think :grinning:

6. in which case lets cut them all down and get rid of them ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. it will run four night storage heaters in the Winter - but it won't as they should be junked before the real winter starts, hopefully.

8. I was actually joking, I only burn seasoned hard woods, sometimes softwoods but it’s a bit of a false economy because they burn faster and cooler than hardwood so you get through it faster. It’s a 2022 SIA Approved stove so it’s very efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I tend to switch off when I read something like that that says within the first couple of lines thing like “may” or “could”
    I read arguments all the time against modern stoves quoting data from 15-20yrs ago, it’s mostly irrelevant. Stove pollutants are often compared to exhaust emissions of diesel cars, but they only measure what’s coming out of the exhaust? Not the brake dust or tyres etc. There’s even stuff on the net that claims even the interior of your car is giving you cancer now, and you don’t even have to turn the ignition on, the interior materials release benzene as well, it’s ridiculously low levels but don’t let the facts get in the way of a good headline…..

But aside from all that, if your neighbours are using old stoves, open fires and wet contaminated wood then it doesn’t help you, that’s a fault with your neighbours ethical responsibility, it’s not the fault of fires? Although hopefully if they buy their fuel then things might get a little better as the sale of wet wood has been banned now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. My neighbour, fella in late 70’s may be older, is a real local country bloke. You should see the skit that piles out of his chimney! If it’s wood, it gets burnt!

11. I have had a particularly crap day, today, only partly salvaged by deciding to get a Pani V2.

My conclusion is that we fool ourselves every day thinking that this or that is bad and we should all do something else. Electric cars with Lithium batteries being a case in point.

Nobody seems to notice that to manufacture cars, with any type of engine, you need steel, plastics and paint - all in very large quantities. We need to stop fooling ourselves that this or that is green. Truth is: no feature of modern living has no consequences.

Even wind turbines. I can see a couple from my bedroom window. They have big concrete plinths, huge steel rotors and masses of copper wire in the generators, Maybe I am wrong and copper. concrete and steel is all locally grown by farmers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. I think dieselgate is a huge case in point, for over 20yrs we were all told, encouraged to scrap our cars and buy diesel and then the VW scandal broke, which in itself is a farce, (did they stop their brown paper bag deliveries to some Californian official?) We’ve known about manufacturers manipulation of their vehicles since the invention of the dyno, that little dip on the power curve isn’t there for nothing?

And from what I can tell the production of batteries isn’t exactly the tree hugging solution we are all led to believe and I dread to think what’s going to happen to them all once they are depleted! Once again, governments are blinkered to looking at a very small area to tackle pollution and not the whole lifecycle of the product?

ironically the best thing to come out of the pandemic is probably it’s change in attitude towards the car and our need to get somewhere? It’s just a shame the government and BT can’t jump on that bandwagon and role out a nationwide decent internet infrastructure rather than wasting money on a fast rail line between two places no one wants or needs to go

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. So it won’t run central heating and sounds like it’s similar to the old ‘put the water on love I want a bath’ days. Sounds a shit replacement for a boiler.

14. I'm doing driving lessons in preparation of getting a date for the driving assessment mentioned elsewhere. I drive a 6-Speed diesel (might be a HighAndDry) hatchback as they don't do "green" in Lydney. It is a really nice care to drive - plenty of power, amazing economy and must be cheap to run - or the driving instructor wouldn't have it.

I am going to buy a car if the DVLA ever grudgingly give me my license back and this car would be ideal, but as it's diesel and I will be restricted on where I could take it (Bath is a "no" now, I think and Bristol will go the same way) I will have to go petrol, thereby saving the World....

#54 PerryL, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Just to further annoy the reptiles: Today, I had my night storage heaters junked and replaced with Fischer heaters. Each has its own remote that you can program on just with just day or night and modify the default temperature, or go more complex. No water, no pumping, and no reptiles! Now, I can junk night-rate and not be ripped off for daytime electricity. And if I am cold, then I can turn on a heater for instant heat and turn them off if too hot Oh, the luxury!

Just need to fail my driving assessment on Monday, now. I ran past getting an electric bicycle with my sol and putting the cost of it on my claim. She did not say if I could of couldn't, but is worried about my safety!
    upload_2021-8-13_13-39-31.png

16. And I have now junked night rate with Octopus. The joy is unconfined! I am on their normal tariff of 18.72p per unit. I don't particularly want to dump Octopus but now I'll have a lock around as I have no idea what's competitive at the moment.

17. I love how we're going back 50 years plus with so much of our tech. Electric heaters, tanks with warm water, warm air used for heating.

Welcome to 1975

• Like Like x 1
  18. I think you have misread the situation re driving any old sh*tter into Bath. Bath has a class C clean air zone, which means that charges only apply to taxis, private hire vehicles, vans, light goods vehicles, buses, coaches and heavy goods vehicles that do not meet the required emission standards. Privately owned vehicles will not be charged.

19. " Privately owned vehicles will not be charged." - I didn't realise that.

Is that Bath, Bristol, or anywhere? Not that it will affect me as I am not allowed to drive. But all of the taxis that I use are diesels! I think, but not 100% sure, that if my usual taxi driver had to go to or through London then he just pays as it is very, very unusual. I really should look up the rules!

I am sort of hoping that the car provided to do my assessment on Monday, in Bristol, will be a diesel. And then I can say, "I am not driving that oily, dirty piece of illegal crap! I will fail the assessment, but I'm going to fail anyway and so at least I can have some fun! Actually cancel that as I will arrive in a diesel taxi and so I would look even more stupid than they already think. They will then start to worry about where my carer is!

20. The info I quoted pertains to Bath.

I hope you are going to pass on Monday. If you don't, I expect you will pass the following time. I'm sure I can speak for everyone on this forum in wishing you the very best luck from us all.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information