1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mosfet Fh020aa For 1098,848,1198 Fixing

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Geoffduk, Jun 26, 2017.

1. IMG_0461.JPG Hi,
    I know this has been covered elsewhere but I thought some users contemplating upgrading to a mosfet regulator shindengen FH020AA might find it useful.
    Bike symptoms: Intermittent loss of idiot light and indicators. Switch off bike and all well for a variable period of time. Occasionally the eobd light comes on for a fraction of a second. Checking error codes using jpdiag shows voltage malfunction.
    Checks: console shows 14.2 volts so all looks fine.
    Rectifier diode check all okay and alternator checks look fine.
    Slight discolouration of 3 pin alternator connector so clean thoroughly.
    Put fairing on and all fine for around 600 miles. Smell burning and on inspection the 3 pin alternator connector fried. Rectifier check now shows one diode short.
    Decided to upgrade to mosfet device and thought I would give any user an idea of what's required.
    MOSFET FH020AA FROM USA AT AROUND £100
    Triumph cable harness mentioned in other posts £8
    Aluminium plate, spacers, high strength loctite and M6 screws.
    The loctite is for fixing the bolts that will secure the new rectifier with locking nuts without the bolt turning in the future if you try to remove.
    Please see pics for dimensions and bits required.
    Initial test : miles covered 100 at ambient 18 centigrade.
    Display shows 14.4 volts solid after several checks.
    Checked temperature by touching regulator through hole on fairing - Luke warm. To be honest more heat from ECU.
    image1.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    NOTE: ECU SPACERS SHOULD MEASURE 12mm diameter by 6mm
    ECU FIXING SCREWS SHOULD BE M6 * 40mm.
    After fixing left hand fairing on the dimensions shown in the picture where to big causing fairing to rub off ECU and connector.
    IMG_0438.JPG

#1 Geoffduk, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 4
  2. Great info!
    Did mine last year and no probs since.

3. Me 2!!

4. If I ever get another one of these series bikes, it'd probably get done straight away. Needed or not!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. About to do my 851. Where's the reg/rec mounted on a 1098/848/1198 as that's a decision I have to make?

I'll wire direct to battery as unfortunately I need stator, wiring, reg/rec and battery! Not sure which bit went first but they're all buggered.... I bought the kit with the wiring plugs as well from the US, but do wonder why no-one in the UK does the kits e.g. Wemoto.

6. Great write up but if one can't be arsed simply buy the electrex regulator like i just did. Uses all the exisiting holes and cables plus its UK manufactured apparently. Cost about £110 inc vat and postage.
    Stang, the reg/rec is mounted left hand side beneath the battery and behind the ECU on a 1098.

7. Unfortunately I did buy the Electrex replacement and it only lasted twelve months and packed up, didn't even get a reply from Electrex when I e-mailed them. The Mosfet replacement has been on about 5 years now trouble free.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have these also.
    The rec/regs also turn up used on ebay more and more now. Fitted oem on quite a number of bikes now.

9. I did think about the Electrex reg/rec as they do a direct replacement on the 851 so it would have been less hassle. However they do not get good reviews on this model (haven't researched other models), whereas I've not seen a bad review of the MOSFETs.
    That doesn't sound like a well cooled area beneath the battery and behind the ECU...... The internet says MOSFETs run cooler but they still trip if overheated so somewhere with no airflow next to the engine like that doesn't sound best (mind you the standard position behind the headstock is a bit pants). I'll have to have a look and see where it'll fit I guess.

10. This is mine on a 748.

2013-10-05 08.44.16.jpg 2013-10-26 08.37.51.jpg
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Another consideration is a Series Regulator Rectifier, also available from Electrex. Requires modification of the connectors. I have one fitted to my 1198 and the fitting was done by DUCATI JOHN.

12. Another consideration is a Series Regulator Rectifier, also available from Electrex. Requires modification of the connectors. I have one fitted to my 1198 and the fitting was done by DUCATI JOHN.

13. I agree the location is not ideal but the additional plate and some heat sink paste applied between rectifier and plate should help.
    Managed around 60k with the oem device on 1098 which is far short of my 150k on monster which is still working fine but then that's under the seat but still affected by heat from vertical cyclinder and exhaust header. The alternator did short on monster but that was covered under warranty at 30k.

14. OOOHHH, i thought I was learning something here and that there were two types of regulator, mosfet and shunt? The electrex one being mosfet? Am I wrong?

15. I had an electrex blow within a yr, when I called to buy a new one the lady noticed it was less than a yr old and shipped me one free. I still bought another alongside it as Ive learnt over 20yrs of 916 ownership to keep the spare one under the seat. My 916 just gobbles the bastards like candy. Ive had the stator rewound, done the heat shield etc. However Ive just accepted it as a foible now. Shes had at least 6. Dont ask me how many batteries shes gobbled up as Ive lost count. Still love the bitch though. Its the only thing that ever goes wrong and I can swap em over in 30mins.

16. GULP, er I didn't buy the electrex to save a few quid, it was £110 ish delivered. I feel anxious now regarding the quality. I will have to run with it and see as it is fitted now. I have not ridden the bike since fitting it so don't even know if the regulator was the issue in the first place.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information