1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Important Ducati

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Tommaso, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Hey,,,trade a garlic bread slice for the pizza!

Hey,,does my bum look big in this????

#201 XH558, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  2. That'll be the model that you own I guess? The 2013 iteration is better!

3. I've had a few, but I always thought the 2010 model PP was the best (never had one, only the S model).
    Currently have a 2013 and a 2014 plate Pikes Peak (and a 998S and 749R).

I think the 749R is an amazing machine,

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. It's not about better..........

5. I am considering chopping mine in for a PP in spring. Is your 2014 a DVT, and if so do you prefer it to the earlier model. As regards the 2010 model, I have never ridden one but people complain that fuelling issues spoiled the bike. I take it you do not agree.

6. All of them , i think they are all special to have and experiance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Ducati BRothers!

8. ducati-851-007.jpg

Has to be the 851.

If you ask most normal people to draw a Ducati, they'll draw you a red superbike. The 851 is where that superbike lineage began and where the brand values of exotic looks & extreme performance started.

Personally, being 28, the 916/996/998 bikes are the ones that were on my wall as a kid. I grew up watching Foggy decimate in WSBK and it's just THE Ducati.

• Like Like x 7
  9. I'm a new member and find it hard to dissagree - again I might be biased - waited a long time to get the right 916-996 and glad I waited for a 996SPS . I'm into classic cars/bikes that still give the new stuff a run for their money both in terms of performance but also have to look the part.

20180210_120117_zpsvtasazrv.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Mito evolution and the 916 came out at around the same time so more than likely both were on the drawing board together and whilst the 916 seat unit was based on a Tamburini penned unit for the Mito 50, the overall styling and exhaust positioning probably drew inspiration from the NR750 Honda.

11. Dont forget the Honda RC30 as well!:upyeah:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. I read this also, the Mito was supposed to be the designers 'test' to see what he came up with, there are some parts that are a direct swap betwen them like the Mirrors I believe.

Thinking about this again I still think the Monster was the most important from a cash in the bank perspective but I think the 1098 was such an important 're-launch' bike after Ducati dealers had spent so long discounting 999's to try and get them out the door. My memory of 2007 was that the press just drummed on forever about what an absolute game changer it was, more than the panigale and the V4. It was competing with the fireblade and R1 at the time, not the RSV4, not the S1000RR and I remember Bike mag doing a 10-11 page spread on it! All about the design of it etc.

13. All the early Mutleys were terrible on fueling, mainly due to the poxy exhaust valve.
    Getting it properly mapped transformed the bike.
    I've never had a DVT and don't like the styling..just my opinion.
    Plastic badges etc. versus a better display, but that was easily scratched.

14. Surely it was this bike?
    [​IMG]

15. The monster no doubt saved Ducati financially but do you think they’d have sold as many without the Ducati brand being built around the superbikes? Without the 821, I think Ducati would be just be another Moto Guzzi...

The 1098 was a rebirth but it’s an evolution of the Philosophy that started with the 821. It’s just the same bike in a different era.

• Like Like x 1
  16. you are right re: parts swap although there's not as much in common as you would think. Mirrors could be swapped but would look crude/come loose possibly as Mito has flat fitting face and Ducati is curved. I have fitted Mito rear light to a 748 before. Front disc and caliper interchangeable plus starter solenoid. Front light of Mito is almost exactly 90% proportion of 916. I used to promote use of sidestand even, which fits with a bit of modifying but few were convinced preferring to use an 848 which is a direct swap. :upyeah:

#216 Chris, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  17. not sure why you given me a Negative on this as it has been documented that design bits were taken from the RC30 as well as the NR because i have read up on it some where in my life:thinkingface:

18. truth is that all designers take a little from each other but the bike that was said to clearly influence the styling of the 916 was the NR750 - can you see much likeness to the RC30 in that regard??

#218 Chris, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. swingarm and tail piece unit/lights,,give me time and if in the mood will load more up for you:cool::thinkingface::upyeah:

20. not the tail piece! - tank for sure. NR750 was single sided.. i'm just the messenger here, likeness was said by journalists at the time :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information