1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mot Fail If You Have Converted To Led

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Billywiztheelder, Jan 15, 2021.

1. No even more elementary, enforce the law that says you mustn't park with the engine running, especially reading how pollution is evenly spread in residential districts

2. yep, Phillips make lamps not bulbs - they make tulips.

3. who needs super expensive consumable parts when halogens are so cheap and omni-present. And a good halogen headlight is Fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. As much as all that may be true colloquially, lighting professionals call lamps, lamps not bulbs. It’s like calling a wheel a “spinning thing”

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. What industry are you referring to?

6. Lighting industry

7. Almost, for that to be true it would have to be something like 'photon emitter thing' for the lamp. Wheels would be 'rounds' or 'circulars' since 'bulb' is the name and shape of the glass envelope.

This is pedantry at it's finest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry to resurrect this old thread…I have read a great deal of the posts but am not really sure.

is it worthwhile replacing the halogen bulbs/lamps or what ever they are on my 748?

obliged

9. Do you habitually ride it at night?

10. I very much doubt I will be riding at night often. The bulbs/lamps are 20 years old and look ever so dull.

so I was going to replace them and thought about LED

11. Are the lenses foggy and in need of a clean potentially?

12. They are a bit foggy yes….

Sounds like I should just get some decent quality halogen bulbs, clean the lenses and be happy

13. Correct answer. Lots of threads on how to clean them on here. Use the search function. :upyeah:

14. Obliged…

15. Just to confirm what EJ says. I converted to LED because mine were looking a bit yellowy and 20 years old. During the day time they looked brilliant, pure white. Then recently I had two rides at night of about 15 miles.

First the beam, if you could call it that, was pants and the difference between dip and main was hardly noticeable to me and the guy I was following. All of this is due to the reflector not being designed for a LED bulb.

There are Halogen bulbs to be had which now produce a much whiter light.

16. Great thank you

17. 748 low beam headlight responds very well to a HID conversion.

I've had this on my 916 for many years, beam cut off is the same as standard but the light is so much brighter.

For the high beam I use a 100w (halogen) bulb that works well, maybe not sustainable charge-wise for too long? but the lower draw of the HID low beam helps to compensate and, how long is high beam on anyway?

Also, for both the above I fitted relays switching direct from battery to light using a heavier gauge wiring as the standard wiring is, at best marginal...

18. mine fog up with moisture making the puddles of piss excuse for lights look even weaker :(

19. Cleaned them today…..lenses are much better. Now for new bulbs

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information