1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto Giro D'italia Anyone Going?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Samurai, Jul 10, 2019.

1. This 175 narrow case made it to the finish of the 2019 Giro in Tivoli, still looking pretty good.

20190601_160458.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. As it happens I grew up in Crewkerne, lived in North Street, went to Crewkerne Grammar School. But I don't know anybody in Crewkerne nowadays.

3. Pete, let me introduce you to Vinnie :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. She would not have to do all six days - she could take a "day off" and stay in the hotel, if she wants. So could you, for that matter.

5. Oh, so do you return to the same hotel at the end of each day? I thought you moved on to another each day?

6. They used to move to a fresh hotel every day, but at the request of participants they now stay in each hotel for two nights. You can take a "day off" if you want, on certain days. So it was explained to me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You will be a bit disappointed if you go on Sunday the Italian bike day is Saturday . . . . Beards and leather chaps day Sunday.

8. Yeah, just realised that last night when I looked properly at the calender! For some reason I had logged the 13th July in my head months ago, but thought that it was a Sunday, doh! :rolleyes:.

Now going tomorrow on the Narrow case :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Small world,
    I was brought up in Broadshard,
    bought a house in North street (no 30) now live in East street.

10. Oh my, you have my utmost respect, what a peach of a restoration of a beautiful bike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WOW

• Like Like x 3
  11. Here’s a sample set of some nice wee classics taken with mates recently. On my monster blackballed from picture. Large amount of stunning bevels - only a few belts to be seen. All have done the giro. The scrambler had two clutch cables fitted in case of failure - apparently quite common with minimal down time on changing. Had to add my recently rebuilt monster although I was fined for turning up on relatively new bike.
    Very nice restoration.

0EBB7BD2-BFB0-4C1E-8773-30FF71D3951E.jpeg

4A3AF91C-E8E6-4F01-A798-EA053E48643F.jpeg

#31 Geoffduk, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Very nice!
    Good to know that clutch cable failure is relatively common, I thought it was just me as I'm on my third in about 1500 miles. This time I've upgraded to a 2mm cable from Venhill. Probably my fault for assuming a 1.6mm one would be Ok on such a small bike, although the clutch is very heavy. I always carry a spare with me now.

13. Not uncommon I’ve been told. In fact the RT clutch broke on a steep hill leading to tan hill and so did the spare. Definite issue with clutch which he’s stripping this weekend. Managed to modify a solderless nipple to get him back to digs. Here’s the custom one I made him this week - will never break.

B8947822-9147-4A26-B1C5-750502C7791A.jpeg

7CB606CE-B75F-46CF-A2D5-8CF5C06CDBCF.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Here is a link to the regs and entry forms for the 2020 Giro, which I'm considering entering.

It's Verona - Cortina - Garda - Pistoia - Verona apparently, and it looks like a different hotel each night after all.

Cost of entry fee + fuel etc + getting there comes to rather a lot though. And if Brexit actually happens, there will be much bigger things to worry about than jollies to Italy. So still considering.

https://www.motogiroitalia.it/en/published-the-informations-about-motogiro-ditalia-2020/

I understand Russell Benney of Phase One transports bikes down to the Giro by van each year:

https://phaseone.co.uk/contact/

15. Pete, many thanks for the lead at Phase One for transportation, I'll look into that.

My wife and I have just put down the deposit to ride in the Tourist Class next year, so I'm getting really excited at at actually ticking of a 'Bucket List' item, it's something that I've dreamed of for years and never really thought it would happen, but now it is :D.

Yeah, it's not cheap and now my wife has ruled out going as pillion on the 175TS after a 40 mile round trip to West Bay in Dorset at the weekend (can't blame her really!), we'll either have to transport two bikes or hire one for her over there, so the cost is mounting already!

As compensation, the route and reviews of this year's Giro have certainly fired up my excitement levels even more :). I may never get the chance to do it again so we're just going to make it happen.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Thread resurrection time!

So, is anyone going next year? Provisionally things are supposed to be happening in late May next year, with the start and finish in Orbetello. I have paid the deposit in the last week or so, and have been in contact with Russell Benney of Phase One, who is once again providing transport, but he seems to be filling places up rather quickly. I'm planning on taking my Mondial 200 Extra Lusso, but that might be a bit ambitious, as I haven't had the thing running yet!

It would be good to hear from anyone from here who might be going so we can swap information etc. There are some parts of the booking process on the website which aren't too clear, but I suspect that it will all come out in the wash.

17. We decided to postpone this year (again) as there is just too much uncertainty at the moment what with the speed of vaccination, Brexit and the impacts that might have on passports and insurance etc. for our liking. No doubt it will go ahead and be fine, it's just that it'd be a trip of a lifetime for us and I don't want a 'diluted' version of what I'd always dreamed of with extra hassle, particularly if it's something that we might not be able to repeat.

I know that Russell and others are well up for it and he's brilliant at organisation and logistics. So if you're going and happy then I'm sure you'll have a great time. Massimo and his team worked really hard to pull something out of the hat last year, it's just a personal choice for the wife and I.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Its top of my wish list for one day.

Probably have to wait till I have stopped working though and I do agree, the general consensus is covid will not be going away until the third quarter of next year.

19. Me and a mate went in 2018 and 2019 on an MV Agusta and Gilera 175s. We had planned to do 2020 but it turned out not to be feasible. We still have our deposits rolled over for 2021, but unsure as to whether we will take up the option. It is a great experience, and thrashing a 175 around Italian twisty roads is a hoot. A bit like being 17 again!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Well its very true that there is a great deal of uncertainty about whether or not next year's event will go ahead. Just for once though, things all lined up in a row for me. Work is fairly quiet during that time, I've got a bike, (which still needs fettling, but hey ho, hopefully I will have enough time to catch and kill all the gremlins) I've got some cash, and even the Mrs seems keen that I get out of the house and off for a week.

I'm a key worker, in the electricity industry, and my boss was making noises last week to the effect that I could get a vaccine fairly quickly, as we don't want the lights to go out as well, so there might be a chance for things to go ahead, so I paid up the deposit, and now need to make preparations for the mission.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information